Kaia Landelius's Reviews > Doomsday Book

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis

bookshelves: fantasy, five-stars, book-bingo-2015

I will be back for more but for now I'll just say OH MY GOD.

Edited to add: So, I didn't expect to like this book all that much. I didn't care for Blackout, and didn't bother with All Clear. This one, though. Oh yes. Loved it SO MUCH.

There were certain repetitions that got on my nerves a bit like the constant WHERE IS THE DROP WHERE IS THE DROP I HAVE TO FIND THE DROP which yes, is a real concern, but it was the same way in Blackout and it just gets old.

I enjoyed both the present day and the Middle Ages portions equally much, didn't hate Colin actually, found Dunworthy's obsession with Kivrin a little creepy and was very amused that they in 2054 had video phones and holograms in books but not cell phones. But of course there was no way for that to be included because they did not exist in 1988 when this book was first released.

I loved that you got through a good portion of the book before the plague hit, just enough for you to start caring about the characters. I spent most of it hoping that Rosemund and Agnes, the children, would survive, (view spoiler)

In conclusion: I don't think I've read a book this size this quickly since Deathly Hallows. Enough said.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doomsday Book.

May 22, 2012 – Shelved