Kerri Anne's Reviews > Micro

May 22, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: not-so-recommended
Read in May, 2012

Having thoroughly enjoyed Sphere (and recognizing Crichton as a great, if not wholly blockbustery, storyteller), I expected to really dig this. Especially when I noticed it was to be primarily set in Hawaii (barefoot & sun-drenched circa-2000 Kerri + fresh white pineapple picked from a backyard bush = perpetual Whitney-esque "I will always love youuuuu!" ode to Hilo).

A few chapters in I realized something didn't feel quite right. The narrative was awkward and forced, and I wasn't straddled with the somewhat expected (but highly welcome) suspense so characteristic of Crichton. That's when I took a closer look at the cover and realized (see also: was Google-advised) Crichton had died with only 1/3 of the story complete. Armed with only Crichton's outline and related notes, Richard Preston attempts to pick up where Crichton left off, and while I wouldn't have wanted his job, the effort was altogether lost on me.

I really do want to read this story. I just want Crichton to come back from the grave and write it first.

[One star for being unfinished business.]

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Micro.