Yi's Reviews > The Big Wave

The Big Wave by Pearl S. Buck

May 22, 2012

bookshelves: 4children
Read from May 21 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy

This is one amazing book written by one amazing authoress! So many important topics were introduced in this heart-warming story about the lives of two little Japanese boys - natural disasters, life, death, friendship, courage, bravery, acceptance. In 78 pages (i.e. the edition I have), Pearl S. Buck was able to convey all these difficult topics to her readers, the young and the old, in such a way that one easily takes these ideas/Japanese philosophies to heart.

A few of my favourite quotes from the book:

"It is true that on any day ocean may rise into storm and volcano may burst into flame. We must accept this fact, but without fear. We must say, 'Someday I shall die, and does it matter whether it is by ocean or volcano, or whether I grow old and weak?'"

"Where you are afraid, you are thinking about them all the time, Enjoy life and do not fear death - this is the way of a good Japanese."

"Fear alone makes man weak. If you are afraid, you hands tremble, your feet falter, and your brain cannot tell hands and feet what to do."

"To live in the midst of danger is to know how good life is."

"To live in the presence of death makes us brave and strong."

"To die a little later or a little sooner does not matter. But to live bravely, to love life, to see how beautiful the trees are and the mountains, yes, and even the sea, to enjoy work because it produces food for life..."

"We love life because we live in danger. We do not fear death because we understand that life and death are necessary to each other."

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Wave.

05/22/2012 page 45
show 1 hidden update…

Roshan Durairaj well i love this book really good READ

message 2: by Yi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yi Oh, I so agree with you! I rarely write lengthy reviews. This book really got to me. Hopefully my kids will read it once they are older.