Antony Mayfield's Reviews > Lessons from a Warzone: How to be a Resilient Leader in Times of Crisis

Lessons from a Warzone by Louai Al Roumani

Five stars because Lessons from a Warzone is such a singular book in the business category.

It needed to be written because there was nothing else like it. Al Roumani looked for case studies and texts in running a business in an extreme crisis and there were none. The standard sources for business reference were not useful, the advice was not applicable to running a network of banks during mortar attacks, with the threat of ISIS fanatics taking over,

It needed to be read because we are suddenly all in the middle of unprecedented crises – the pandemic, civil unrest, climate change – all feeding into one another.

I love the details of Arab culture – generosity, the importance of tea, the stories and legends that define Damascus. It grounded the accounts of dealing with operational and strategic business challenges in a real place and made me want to learn more about Syria and the Arab world.

There are two other things that endear the book to me. First, it is short, as every good business book should be. Second, the human passion, the intensity of the experience comes through vividly. The mix of drama and operational detail in the book feels so real to anyone who has been through a major crisis in a business (even if not as terrible as the Syrian War). There's no sentimentality here, but there is deep humanity. There are lessons learned, there is hope, there are flaws.

I'm personally – and professionally – grateful to Louai Al Roumani for writing this book. I hope I never have to live and work in a Warzone, but when we face crises in our lives and our businesses there are useful emotional and practical lessons there is huge value in reading the heartfelt and honest experiences of others.

I recommend this book with a grateful heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons from a Warzone.

May 19, 2020 – Started Reading