Caitlin's Reviews > Catching Fire

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

May 22, 2012

Every time I read a distopian novel, I wonder why I don't read more. I always like them. But it's an odd sort of liking. Not a happy, fuzzy like, but the sense that comes from reading something powerful and provoking.

The story was fresh and strong, and definitely not repetetive and predictable, which I was concerned about. No need to have worried. The whole book kept me holding my breath and being surprised.

I think once I've read Mockingjay, Catching Fire will have been my favorite. I'm anxious to read Mockingjay, but I don't see how it could top this. Once I started, I couldn't put it down - not once. I might even read it again.

A lot of readers criticize Collins for making Katniss in book 2 so different from herself in book 1. She does and says things that the Katniss in book 1 wouldn't have thought of doing. People are chalking it up to sloppy story-telling and slapdash character development. I want to make the argument that it's intentional. It makes sense. Even Katniss feels after The Hunger Games that the fabric of who is is, what she stands for, is falling apart. Doesn't it only make sense that a person whose life and self is absolutely crumbling would act differently than the confident person she used to be when the series started?

P.S. The girl in me is just dying over the love triangle. **rolls eyes** I guess I can't help it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catching Fire.

Keith Bryan I think you will like this one best as well, but that's more because of your personality. I liked the first book and this one about equally. I'm curious to find out what you think about the third one.

Caitlin A friend is supposed to be mailing me the third one and I don't think it's EVER going to get here. But trust me. You'll know as soon as I get it, and exactly what I think about it as soon as I'm done. haha

Keith Bryan I expect nothing less, Ma'am. ;]