Valerie's Reviews > The Cranes Dance

The Cranes Dance by Meg Howrey

bookshelves: dancing, gblt-friendly
Recommended to Valerie by: Entertainment Weekly
Recommended for: Debbie, Leslie, Vicki, Shannon

What fresh hell is this? Although I laughed out loud in several places, and loved every second of this book. I'm just going to say, that the thought of ever being in the same ballet company as my sister brought the shivers to my spine. My sister may very well read this, so I should say, this has nothing to do with her, in any way, since the thought of having to compete in any way with anyone I love in the complicated way sisters sometimes love each other would give me the crazies.

And that brings us to the concept of 'unreliable narrator.' for which this book is the poster child.

Many people on goodreads have disliked the opening chapter, but I loved it. I always feel like that when I am watching the market/festival/party scene in any ballet, which let me just say here, is never the shortest act in any ballet.

I believe I'll be tracking down more Meg Howrey books now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cranes Dance.

May 22, 2012 – Started Reading
May 22, 2012 – Shelved
May 22, 2012 – Shelved as: dancing
May 26, 2012 – Shelved as: gblt-friendly
May 26, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Candace The opening chapter is what caught my attention! I feel like a lot of the literature and movies done about ballet dancers are either very, very dark, with ballerinas being portrayed as self-obsessed, anorexic, back-stabbing, and neurotic women, or becomes about a character fusing hip hop with ballet.

It was just a refreshing change to see a narrator who was funny and self-deprecating but also had her dark spaces.

Valerie I agree, Candace.