megs_bookrack's Reviews > Lore

Lore by Alexandra Bracken

bookshelves: arcs-read

While I fully acknowledge Lore may not be for every Reader, I freaking loved it so much!!!

Greek Mythology meets The Hunger Games is an apt description and what's not to love about that!?

Every seven years, the Agon begins. Essentially this is a punishment created by Zeus for past rebellions.

During the Agon, nine Greek Gods are forced to walk the Earth as mortals, all the while being hunted by the descendants of ancient bloodlines.

If a God is killed during the Agon, the hunter responsible for their death gets to seize their powers and immortality, thus becoming a New God.

Melora, known as Lore, is a part of the Perseous line. She is no longer participating in the Agon. Lore has left that whole world behind and kept herself hidden since the last hunt left her entire family dead in their home, including her two little sisters, murdered by a rival clan.

Living in New York City, Lore has done a good job blending in and has successfully flown under the radar of anyone related to the hunt. At least that's what she thinks.

One night a blast from her past, her childhood best friend, Castor, ends up tracking her down. Their brief conversation intrigues Lore enough to make her question whether she can really leave that life behind.

Their interaction really rattles her. She has suspected that Castor was dead, so to have him just show up like that, it was a lot.

Little does she know, things are about to get a lot more interesting.

Arriving home, she discovers the Greek Goddess Athena, one of the few remaining original Gods, injured on the steps of her brownstone, pleading for her help!

Before she knows it, Lore has rejoined the hunt, pairing with Athena and hoping to finally get revenge on the man she blames for the murder of her family.

Y'all, I loved this book from the start.

I was so intrigued about this whole concept and absolutely loved the characters.

I think Bracken did a great job of building this out and keeping the pace steady throughout. There was always plenty of action and intrigue to keep me wanting more.

Lore is a strong character, but you can tell that she is hurting. As her past is slowly revealed, through chapters focusing on her childhood and the end of the last Agon, my heart absolutely ached for her.

This girl has been through it.

Over the course of the story, you really watch her character evolve from a damaged soul to a true force to be reckoned with.

I loved the relationships within this story. The friend group, made up of Lore, Castor, Van, Miles and Iro, was so great to read. I loved their dynamic and the way their personalities played off of one another; particularly Miles, the only one not from an ancient bloodline.

The Agon, at its heart, really is a competition; one of my favorite tropes. There was a lot of danger. I mean really, the entire time, Lore and her friends are on the move.

They're constantly in fear for their lives, which makes you constantly in fear for their lives!

This felt like a superhero story to me and I was living for it. Towards the end, there are all sorts of surprising twists and reveals. Lore is a blast to read!

Thank you so much to the publisher, Disney Book Group, for providing me with a copy of this to read and review. I truly appreciate it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lore.

May 18, 2020 – Shelved
May 18, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
May 18, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
December 18, 2020 – Started Reading
December 19, 2020 –
10.0% "Loving the lush urban fantasy vibe of this!!!!
So into it already. I cannot wait to learn more."
December 19, 2020 –
15.0% "This is so good! Quite vivid."
December 26, 2020 –
22.0% "This world is so interesting!
If you haven't put this on your 2021 TBR yet, add it! ❤"
December 26, 2020 –
25.0% "If there is going to be a dog, I am going to be in fear for its life the entire way through.
Can authors just all agree from this point forward to have no more dogs in their stories?
That would be great.

"
December 28, 2020 –
38.0% "Connecting Greek Myth with The Hunger Games...brilliant 👏 😀"
December 30, 2020 –
December 30, 2020 –
60.0% "I keep forgetting Lore is only 17!!
The girl has been through it and is so tough!"
January 1, 2021 –
January 2, 2021 –
74.0% "Lore's backstory is breaking my heart 💔"
78.0% "NOOOOOOOO!!

🤯🥺😱"
79.0% "WHAT!? WHAAAAT!!??

😶😬😳😵"
January 3, 2021 –
January 3, 2021 –
93.0% "These Gods are ruthless! 🥺"
January 3, 2021 – Shelved as: arcs-read
January 3, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Clemence Ooooh! I wondered if we would see more from Bracken! Added!

megs_bookrack Erin wrote: "Ooooh! I wondered if we would see more from Bracken! Added!"I am seriously loving it so far! 40% in!! ❤

Carter I started it yesterday, and it is so good! I only needed to see that it was by Alex Bracken to buy it 😌

megs_bookrack Carter wrote: "I started it yesterday, and it is so good! I only needed to see that it was by Alex Bracken to buy it 😌" Right!? I know!!! I was so excited to see she was releasing something new. I am hoping to finish it tomorrow. There have been so many reveals towards the end, my jaw is on the floor half the time. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

message 5: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Ooooo this looks really interesting! I actually saw the cover first and I got really excited seeing a depiction of Medusa... but it sounds like she’s not a character in this? Or is she...? I was just curious to know

message 6: by megs_bookrack (last edited Jan 16, 2021 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

megs_bookrack Katie wrote: "Ooooo this looks really interesting! I actually saw the cover first and I got really excited seeing a depiction of Medusa... but it sounds like she’s not a character in this? Or is she...? I was ju..." She's not a main character no, but she is mentioned and the lore around the Greek myths is a central part of the story line. The main character is from House Perseus, so a descendant of that lineage which does play a role in the story.