Ije the Devourer of Books's Reviews > Red+Blue

Red+Blue by A.B. Gayle

I enjoyed this book on so many levels. First of all I enjoyed the writing. I found the style to be engaging right from the very beginning and the story line kept my interest all the way through. I also enjoyed the way the different points of view were used to introduce the main characters and I liked the way the relationship between the main characters evolved. Both Ben and Adrian slowly moved from boss/employee, to friends, and then to lovers. Of course the journey wasn't that smooth and there were lumps and bumps along the way, which made the journey interesting. I knew that there would be a resolution at the end, but on the journey the main question was how will they work this out? How will they find common ground?

The aspect that I appreciated the most was the contemporary feel that this story had: the work place and all the politics that go with it, the insurance industry and all the politics that go with that too (hmmmm), but mostly I appreciated the way in which the issue of HIV was addressed within this book. If an author is unfamiliar with the challenges of HIV it can be difficult to weave it into a story in a meaningful way. This author has managed to weave the complex issues of HIV transmission, HIV testing and HIV prevention into the story in a way that doesn't pay lip service to the virus, doesn't overwhelm the story and that shows the reality of people's emotional lives and how easy it is to let go of the need to protect oneself. I deeply appreciated this.

I also liked the emotional strength of the characters especially Ben. I felt that was refreshing and although there was some angst, sadness and regret it found its place within the story and enhanced the story instead of overpowering it. This is the first time I have read a book by this author and I am glad to see that there will be others in this series. I would quite like to know what happened to Chris and also what happened to Jason and Vincent. This series has become an auto buy for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red+Blue.

May 22, 2012 – Shelved
May 28, 2012 – Started Reading
May 28, 2012 –
22.0% "And thoroughly enjoying it. Glad this is a long story, something to get my teeth into. So far so good."
June 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by A.B. (new) - added it

A.B. Gayle Thanks you for the wonderful review. I'm so glad you appreciated what I was trying to do, even as much as not making anyone a complete "victim".
You're also the first person to mention Chris. Interestingly, I do have a story for him. A complex character.

Ije the Devourer of Books Lovely!! I am looking forward to reading Chris's story.