Kirstine's Reviews > Preludes & Nocturnes

Preludes & Nocturnes by Neil Gaiman

May 22, 2012

bookshelves: comics-and-graphic-novels, fantasy, reviewed, 1-men, own, r-2017
Read 2 times. Last read April 30, 2017.

"I am anti-life, the beast of judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, Gods, worlds... of everything. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?"

"I am hope."

This is my favourite quote from this book, and one of my favourite quotes in general. It's beautiful. And true, thank god, so true.

I really liked this book. I've wanted to read The Sandman for a long time, and after this I'm beginning to grasp why it's become so popular.

You can tell that this is a prelude to the "actual" series. Morpheus, one of the Endless, master of Dreams, has been kidnapped, and once he breaks free, well, things aren't as he left them. So the first volume is all about Morpheus trying to get his power back. It's an enthralling and entertaining journey, that introduces a lot of characters, places and plots that will be revisited later.

I enjoy Morpheus a lot as a character. He comes off as very sympathetic and yet it's soon made clear he can be as brutal and unforgiving as many others. He is Endless after all.

It's a lot more violent than I remember it as, which is probably because I just gratefully forgot. I'm not prudish, but I have to admit the cruelty is often very difficult to watch. I suppose I'll have to get used to it, because judging by the second volume it's not slowing down.

I'll definitely continue with this series, and now I've finally bought the whole thing. It's creative, the art is to die for, and it manages to be both dark and hopeful at the same time. Well, most of the time...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Preludes & Nocturnes.

Started Reading
April 30, 2017 – Started Reading
April 30, 2017 – Finished Reading
September 2, 2017 – Shelved as: r-2017

message 1: by Joby (new)

Joby Loved this book. Not the best in the series though

Samuel García The demon should have countered his "I am hope", with "I am despair and madness", but then the story wouldn't have Morpheus' killer blow.

Alice I feel like that quote is a bit of a spoiler. I mean it is how he wins the battle and it's the best part of the book imho.

Kirstine Tiffany wrote: "I feel like that quote is a bit of a spoiler. I mean it is how he wins the battle and it's the best part of the book imho."

That might be true. But it doesn't actually say who the first line belongs to, or what the context is, so no one reading the review would know that until they'd read it. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Llorente Sorry I just have to get this out:

So many people forget about this quote but it's easily my favourite of all of Gaiman's works. I first read the series when I was about 15. Didn't really understand it but this particular battle with the demon stuck out. It's simple. Gorgeous. And terribly inspiring.