Jacob's Reviews > Daughters of Earth: Feminist Science Fiction in the Twentieth Century

Daughters of Earth by Justine Larbalestier
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Daughters of Earth.

May 21, 2012 – Shelved
June 14, 2012 – Shelved as: anthology
August 8, 2012 – Started Reading
August 8, 2012 – Shelved as: sci-fi-fantasy-etc
August 8, 2012 –
page 20
5.04% ""That the third prize winner should prove to be a woman was one of the surprises of the contest, for, as a rule, women do not make good scientification writers, because their education and general tendencies on scientific matters are limited." \n -Amazing Stories, June 1927, regarding "The Fate of the Poseidonia" by Clare Winger Harris\n \n Science fiction? From a girl? You must be joking!"
August 8, 2012 –
page 35
8.82% "All kidding aside, this is a pretty fascinating (I almost said fantastic) anthology. Eleven science fiction stories by women (including Octavia E. Butler and James Tiptree, Jr.) published between 1927 and 2002, along with essays on each by various critics and scholars. I don't usually bother with critical essays, but these are probably worth it."
August 11, 2012 –
page 159
40.05% "Quite the anthology so far. I started skipping the critical essays (lack of interest), but "The Heat Death of the Universe" by Pamela Zoline just boxed my ears and told me to stop being stupid."
August 11, 2012 –
page 167
42.07% "I think I'm in love with James Tiptree, Jr."
August 15, 2012 –
page 397
100.0% "Still have a few essays to read, but otherwise I'm done. Great stories--especially Butler and Tiptree. Also a glaring lack of UKL."
August 15, 2012 – Finished Reading