Jessica Haider's Reviews > Vagina Problems: Endometriosis, Painful Sex, and Other Taboo Topics

Vagina Problems by Lara  Parker

bookshelves: netgalley, feminism, non-fiction, memoir, blinded-me-with-science

Buzzfeed editor Lara Parker shares her personal experiences with endometriosis in this raw and honest memoir. Lara spent years dealing with undiagnosed pain and other symptoms. Many doctors implied that it was all in her head. Finally, she received a diagnosis of endometriosis.

She talks about her own experiences and also relates them to women's experience in healthcare. Many times women express concerns or symptoms to healthcare providers they aren't taken seriously or told it is because of anxiety or depression. Also, women aren't given a faire share of medical research due to the pesky effects of female hormones. Lara also talks a lot about the difficulty of living with any chronic illness and how it takes a physical and mental toll on someone's life.

This book reminded me of Ask Me About My Uterus: A Quest to Make Doctors Believe in Women's Pain, which is another memoir about living with endometriosis. Both books really help shine a light on the imbalance in healthcare for women and men. I recommend to anyone who is into feminist reads or looking for a memoir about chronic illness.

Thank you to the publisher for the review copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vagina Problems.

May 18, 2020 – Shelved