Shawna's Reviews > Creed

Creed by Kristen Ashley

May 21, 2012

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, format-ebook, erotic-romance-erotica-romantica, favorite-romance-series, hero-antihero-gamma, author-kristen-ashley, series-unfinished-hero, kindle, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, hero-tattalizing, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, animals-matter, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, hh-divorcee, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, betrayal-is-such-a-bitter-pill, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, hh-across-the-tracks, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-expert-skilled-voracious-lover, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, kids-cute-faves-prominent-in-story, best-top-favorites, best-secondary-characters-ensemble, best-friendships, best-fave-reads-of-2012, best-endings-epilogues, heartbreaking-gutwrenching-romance, tattoos-piercings-body-art, tearjerker-tugs-at-heartstrings, backdoor-action-lovin-playin, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, favorites, hero-alpha, hero-bedroom-bad-boy, hero-commoner-self-made, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-im-gaga-over, hero-walking-hardon, heroine-i-adore, hh-post-traumatic-stress-disorder, i-read-kindle, i-read-own-faves-keepers, made-me-cry, sizable-packages-size-matters, star-crossed-lovers, steam-4-smokin, steam-some-like-it-hard-rough-dirty, 2012-reads, 5-stars-plus, a-all-time-favorite-hero, a-all-time-favorite-heroine, bdsm-kink, bdsm-lite-mild, controversial-memorable-event-scene, friends-to-lovers, heartwarming, hero-i-wanna-marry, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, hero-nice-guy-gets-the-girl, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, romantic-suspense, violence-not-for-the-faint-hearted, yowza-hotness, romance-doesnt-end-at-40, all-work-no-play-on-the-job-romance, loved-you-from-afar-or-for-years, older-hero-younger-heroine, ending-awesome-best-hea
Recommended for: KA addicts & fans of steamy contemporary romance
Read on September 20, 2012

5 stars – Contemporary Erotic Romance

Kristen Ashley has without a doubt earned the best/most of everything for 2012 (addictive stories, unforgettable heroes, and moving epilogues) and is easily one of my all-time favorite authors. Her books completely beguile me every single time and this was certainly no exception. Never mind that I had boxes to unpack or a gazillion other things to do because Creed simply demanded my full attention...and boy howdy, he got it! I simply couldn’t put it down!

This actually started off a little bit rocky and I wasn’t quite sure what to think. But then around the 28% mark, everything started falling into place and I ended up loving it! Creed and Sylvie are both broken and battered with horribly tragic pasts, but they find healing and forgiveness through their resilient, enduring, and unconquerable love for each other. They’re memorable, unique characters, and I adored them together.

I loved Knight and Creed, and it’s hard to decide which I liked better. Both have compelling, strong, albeit very distinctive, heroes, and although related, they’re still very different books; so it’s probably best not to compare the two. Having said that, this definitely left me more emotionally satisfied than Knight, probably because there’s a definitive, more traditional, hard-won HEA.

Bottom line, Kristen Ashley is an author goddess and she’s once again made me a very happy romance reader! Big 5 stars!

Most sigh-worthy moments:

Creed’s back tattoo...just faint.

The necklaces...just swoon.

The (view spoiler)...so awww romantic.

The epilogue...of course. KA is the queen of heartwarming, mushy, gushy, and can’t-get-enough-of-it epilogues, and Creed left me smiling and wiping away tears.

Minor criticisms:

Creed naming his kids (view spoiler) made my heart break. Talk about a hot poker to the chest! His reasoning was awful, twisted, beautiful, and tragic, and although things eventually worked out, it was still hard to take.

After waiting so long for the flashback scene to reveal the moment that Sylvie (view spoiler), I was very disappointed that it faded to black.

I think it’s a bit misleading that this series falls in the Unfinished Hero series that’s described as erotic romances with anti-heroes because Creed is without a doubt an honorable man and a full-fledged hero, and it’s really not all that erotic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Creed.

Quotes Shawna Liked

Kristen Ashley
“I’m not what you want, Sylvie, I get that because it’s the same for you as it is for me. I’m not what you want ‘cause I’m what you need.

Kristen Ashley
“I’d move here. I’d move to the goddamned, fucking moon to wake up to you in my bed.”

Kristen Ashley
“You know what love is?"
Creed asked that and my eyes shot from the hair on his forehead to his.
"I..." I swallowed again then, holding his eyes, I whispered, "Yes. I do. I know what love is, Creed."
I felt his big hand curl warm on the side of my face before I felt the pad of his thumb sweep across my lips again. He watched it move as he replied, "I do too, baby." His eyes came to mine. "I absolutely do.”
tags: creed

Kristen Ashley
“They took you away from me."
His hand squeezed mine, the pendants and chains digging into my skin.
"I'm back, baby.”
tags: creed

Kristen Ashley
“You love me?” he asked quietly. I dipped my face close and answered quietly, “On a cold night, a long time ago, you put your hands almost exactly where they are right now and, I might have been six years old, but I fell hard. So, yeah. For over twenty-seven years, every day, every minute, every second, I’ve loved you, Tucker Creed.”

Kristen Ashley
“Born to love you, baby,” he repeated. “Die lovin’ you, my Sylvie.”

Kristen Ashley
“You need me. You won’t stay away and you won’t let me go because, baby, you can’t breathe without me.”

Kristen Ashley
“It’s always you and me.” I nodded again and felt my lips quivering. He kept whispering, “Always me and my Sylvie, yeah?” “Yeah,” I whispered.”

Kristen Ashley
“He crossed his arms again and requested, “You wanna stop aiming your weapon at me?”
Actually, no. I didn’t. I wanted to keep aiming my gun at him and I might also want to pull the trigger.”

Kristen Ashley
“Honest to Christ, give you anything. Anything, baby. But lost enough time. Can’t give you that. Space , maybe. Time. No.”

Kristen Ashley
“I gave you up once. It killed me. it was figuratively but it still killed me. I’m not doin’ that shit again.”

Kristen Ashley
“Some people get to live life. Some people survive it. We’re survivors. We can carve out our piece of happy, and, I swear to God, baby, right now, you got my vow, for you and for me, the rest of our lives, I’ll bust my ass to carve our piece of happy.”

Kristen Ashley
“Just so you know, I speak English. You don’t have to macho-speak with shit like ‘you with me’ after you macho-speak with a bunch of bossing me around. I get you. I’m with you. Or if I’m not, I’ll tell you.”
“Noted,” he muttered but sounded like he was smiling.
I made the diplomatic decision not to look.”

“Beauty,” he whispered.
“What?” I asked.
“Beauty. It’s pure beauty you don’t wanna be away from me. I don’t like that, baby. I love it”

Kristen Ashley
“I’ll take this. I’ll take this every day and every day I’ll know in the end I beat that bastard. He might not have been alive to see it, but I bet his goddamned, motherfucking ass.”
Seriously, he was hot when he was being all vengeful badass.”

Kristen Ashley
“We been through a lot and you earned a piece of my heart, babe. It’s all yours and always will be.”
- Knight.”

Kristen Ashley
“Then and now, beautiful, I’ll take you any way you come to me … Any way. I love this Sylvie, I loved that Sylvie. I just love you, baby.”

09/20/2012
25.0% "Hmmm...I'm a total KA addict, but not sure how I feel about this so far, especially without having Creed's POV. And the whole kids names thing? Not cool. If ever there was a need for the hero's POV, this is it. I'm keeping the faith though 'cause KA has never let me down." 12 comments
65.0% "Creed has totally won me over!" 4 comments
100.0% "Loved it! I couldn't put it down!" 3 comments
02/20/2016 marked as: read

Kristen Fantastic review, Shawna. I'm so glad you loved this book too. I agree with everything you said.

message 2: by Katina (new) - added it

Katina Great review, Shawna! KA is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors too!!!

Diane Great review Shawna and yes those KA moving epilogues get me every time! :)

message 4: by Shawna (last edited Sep 22, 2012 06:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Thanks, Kristen! Yep, I'm definitely in the "loved it" camp with you!

Thanks, Katina! I'm glad you're a KA fan, too!

Thanks, Diane! Her epilogues alone are worth 5+ stars and always choke me up!

Karla Wonderful review Shawna! This book had my head-spinning in true KA style.

Shawna Karla wrote: "This book had my head-spinning in true KA style."

Thanks, Karla! Perfectly said!

message 7: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Wonderful review Shawna!

Shawna Thanks, Melissa! Hope things are going well with you! :)

message 9: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Shawna wrote: "Thanks, Melissa! Hope things are going well with you! :)"

Thanks Shawna! Just keeping busy with my 6 month old and working part time. Not as much time to read but I do my best.

Hope things are good with you too!

Shawna MelissaB wrote: "Just keeping busy with my 6 month old and working part time. Not as much time to read but I do my best."

Wow, he's 6 months already? It seems like just yesterday that you were talking about trying to pick out a name! Where does time go? I bet he does keep you very busy!

I moved recently and we're remodeling and still haven't gotten unpacked or settled, so I haven't had as much time as usual for reading, either. But it's all good. :)

Take care! *hugs*

KatLynne Fantastic review Shawna!

Shawna Thanks, KatLynne! I still sigh when I think about this book!

KatLynne Shawna wrote: "Thanks, KatLynne! I still sigh when I think about this book!"

I do too Shawna:) I thought it was an amazing love story.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Wonderful review, Shawna! I am so in love with Creed and Sylvie! SO. In. LOVE!!!!

Shawna Thanks, Dhes! I heart this story so much! Definitely one of KA's very best!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Absolutely! Tore my heart out, put it back, then tore it out again. It's brilliant!

Shawna UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Tore my heart out, put it back, then tore it out again. It's brilliant!"

Exactly! There were scenes that felt like a hot poker to the chest and then other moments that made me sigh and cry! And that epilogue? SWOON-TASTIC!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Yep. That about sums it up!

Melissa I love your reviews. I love your bookshelves even more, It's like a review all by itself!

Shawna Thanks, Melissa!