Amber ~ The Reading Addict's Reviews > If You Find Me

If You Find Me by Emily Murdoch

Originally posted at www.thereadingaddict.com

I wasn't sure what to expect from If You Find Me. Two girls who practically raised themselves in the wilderness? During the 21st century in Tennessee? What an original concept. From the first page onwards, I knew that this story would stick with me. I can't imagine being in Carey's shoes.

My favorite aspect of the novel by far was Carey's fierce personality. Heck, if I were left to fend for myself in the wilderness as a young girl, I would've died within days. Carey managed not only to keep her sister alive but also to make sure they were both educated. Her harsh life forced her to mature quickly, and even at her young age of fourteen, she is a strong heroine I admired and enjoyed learning about.

While romance is hardly the main plot line of the novel, there is a definitely a sprinkle of first love. What I appreciated about Carey's love life was not the passion or romance, but the way it illuminated some of her personality traits that had been hidden by years of fear and desperation.

Murdoch tackles some pretty heavy subject matter. From drugs to rape, the story examines the psychological impacts of some of life's worst problems. While there is nothing too explicit, I probably wouldn't recommend this one to anyone under the age of fifteen or sixteen.

In the end, I immensely enjoyed If You Find Me. It reels readers in immediately and refuses to let go as it examines how two young girls can overcome true horrors in their early years. Definitely recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If You Find Me.

May 21, 2012 – Shelved