Tavleen Kaur's Reviews > The Infinite Noise

The Infinite Noise by Lauren Shippen

liked it

I am not a fan of magical realism. I enjoy reading books set in the real world- without any fantastical elements and I enjoy fantasy books. Magical realism is a crossover in some sense and it has never appealed to me. This is the main reason The Infinite Noise by Lauren Shippen didn't work out for me.

I thought this book was just going to be a contemporary YA book about a boy who is an empath, who empathizes with people more than others. But this turned out to be a book that featured people with 'superpowers' and it took a different turn than I expected.

A majority of this book just focuses on what Caleb is feeling. Emotions are a theme in itself in this book because Caleb's ability made him feel everyone's emotions around him. This was highly overwhelming for him most of the time. And I think reading about someone's emotions in such detail can get overwhelming for the reader too.

I enjoyed Caleb and Adam's friendship and later, romance. I loved reading about the bond they developed and how they helped each other through the difficult situations they were dealing with (Adam suffered from depression).

I find it really hard to get into a realistic story that has fantastical elements and so, I lost interest in the book when I was halfway through it. This book is a series and I most probably won't be continuing with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Infinite Noise.

May 16, 2020 – Shelved