Nancy Fischer's Reviews > All These Lives

All These Lives by Sarah Wylie

May 21, 2012

liked it

The writing was strong. The story compelling. The premise fairly unique. The plot a bit of a downer but I knew that before starting. This book had me hooked quickly and I felt empathy for the main character and also for her parents. Strange, though, I felt nothing much for her sick sister. Granted, it wasn't the sister's story... but I should've felt something, right? In addition, it was hard to maintain my empathy for the protagonist because she didn't appear to grow throughout her journey so her experiences felt redundant. And then, all of a sudden, at the end of the book, the protagonist leapt (quite literally) into acceptance and understanding. Maybe that's the way these things happen... but the ending felt rushed, the protagonist's epiphany felt unbelievable... and even though I was happy for an almost happy ending... it didn't feel real.

Still, this book was well written and I never thought about giving up on it so I'd say it was a better than average read and I'd recommend it with the above caveats.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All These Lives.