Jessica Cushen's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

May 21, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, all-time-favorites, authors-that-are-made-of-awesome, unfinished-series
Read from May 21 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Jessica Liked

George R.R. Martin
“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.”

George R.R. Martin
“What is honor compared to a woman's love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother's smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.”

George R.R. Martin
“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.”

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”

George R.R. Martin
“The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.”

George R.R. Martin
“And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things.”

George R.R. Martin
“You are your mother's trueborn son of Lannister."

"Am I?" the dwarf replied, sardonic. "Do tell my lord father. My mother died birthing me, and he's never been sure."

"I don't even know who my mother was," Jon said.

"Some woman, no doubt. Most of them are." He favored Jon with a rueful grin. "Remember this, boy. All dwarfs may be bastards, yet not all bastards need be dwarfs."

And with that he turned and sauntered back into the feast, whistling a tune.

When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.”

George R.R. Martin
“Don’t call me Lord Snow.”
The dwarf lifted an eyebrow. “Would you rather be called the Imp? Let them see that their words can cut you and you’ll never be free of the mockery. If they want to give you a name take it make it your own. Then they can’t hurt you with it anymore.”

George R.R. Martin
“My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That's why I read so much Jon Snow.”

George R.R. Martin
“The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that.”

George R.R. Martin
“Why is it that when one man builds a wall, the next man immediately needs to know what's on the other side?”

George R.R. Martin
“Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.”

05/21/2012
05/27/2012
51.0% "Slowly but surely. I really like this book, I only wish I hadn't JUST caught up with the tv series, so this would all be new to me. I can't wait until I get to the stories I haven't already seen on tv."
05/29/2012 page 675
82.0% "“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”"
05/30/2012 page 819
100.0% "I FINALLY FINISHED! YAY! Now on to book two..."
show 4 hidden updates…