Wendy's Reviews > Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel

May 21, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: award-winner, graphic-novels, memoir

It's always difficult to read a book that is essentially someone's life, their thoughts, feelings, pain, joy, experiences, etc. laying naked for the world to see.

It's even more difficult to put a 'rating' on that. Like, "It was amazing!" even though the story was sad and traumatizing. Or, "I Didn't Like It", meaning the message was sad and traumatizing and maybe offensive and self-serving. What was amazing about it? That she didn't end up in a mental ward? or become a serial killer? Or you hated it because it was so raw and visceral? I felt none of those things, but admire her nonetheless for analyzing her horrible parents.

This clearly was a story that Alison Bechdel needed to tell, for her own good.

The art panels are very straightforward and the story flows well as a memoir. It isn't linear and jumps between a few different ages as she puts the pieces together about her father and his familial relationships.

I'm torn. It was great, but it was like reading a psychologists diary. It was almost too sad, if it's possible. Just a dumping of some really messed-up interactions of her distant family.

I really liked the literary analogies, even though I've never read Ulysses or Proust.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fun Home.

May 21, 2012 – Shelved
June 12, 2012 – Started Reading
June 13, 2012 –
page 120
June 13, 2012 –
page 120
51.72% "wowzers..what a messed up childhood..."
June 13, 2012 – Shelved as: award-winner