Aarann's Reviews > The Last Boyfriend

May 21, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: dnf
Read from May 21 to 25, 2012

I am putting this one down as a did not finish. It's not that I disliked it -- the characters were interesting and I liked the plot -- it's just that there wasn't much going on. There's a bunch of side-stories about a ghost and a remodeled hotel, but it all felt like filler. The main characters decided to get together, so they did. I was about halfway through the book and I kept waiting for SOME kind of tension to come along to make it interesting but it never showed up. I thought maybe that would come along with the ghost. It didn't. Or maybe when the heroine (I've already forgotten the names of the two main characters) wanted to build a restaurant and the hero was against it. It didn't. Or maybe when the heroine challenged the hero to do something spontaneous and then he did. It didn't.

I kind of liked the Lizzie-the-friendly-ghost plot, but it wasn't interesting enough to keep reading. Most of the time when I mark something DNF it's because it's written badly, or I hate the characters, or it's boring (which okay, yes, this kind of was, but not in a bad way, if that makes any sense), so this is a strange sensation for me. Personally, I like a little melodrama and tension with my romances and this didn't have either. I might pick up one of the other two books in the series, particularly the third one with Hope and Ryder (see? I remember supporting characters' names, but not the H/H of this one) but this one just wasn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Boyfriend.

02/20/2015 marked as: dnf