Mel (Daily Prophecy)'s Reviews > Mechanica

Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell

did not like it
bookshelves: fairytales-retellings, netgalley, read-2015, disappointing-af

I am crying right now.

LOOK AT THAT COVER. This has to be the most disappointed book I’ve read this year, because I was expecting so much. Even after some negative reviews I kept holding on to the hope that I might like it after all, because we all know how much I love my fairytales. And again, that cover is stunning, so I was hoping the story would live up to it. Now let me go sit in a corner and weep, while you read my review of this book with potential - and managed to blow it.

The story started all right. I liked the writing, the characters were interesting and the steampunk details definitely added something unique to the original tale. Unfortunately, the characters soon became annoying and shallow. The steampunk soon lost it’s charm, because it became overwhelmed by Nicolette and her endless blabber.

There was a point in the story where I lost it. I couldn’t handle the ‘oh, we meet 5 minutes and we shall be best friends for life’ and the ‘I am in love with you, because we have conversations in my head’ situations.

Besides, I didn’t think it mattered much. I knew we could talk to each other, knew we liked each other — and it seemed I would talk with Fin in my mind, whether I wanted to or not.

The essentials of the story are still there. Two mean stepsisters, a beautiful yet cold stepmother and a Prince wanting to get a wife. There is even some talk of magic and forbidden fairies after the death of their beloved Queen. This topic is hardly handled and doesn’t seem to serve a true purpose for the story. It’s about Nicolette’s whining after all. She had clever moments where she used her mother’s talent by fixing mechanical objects, but mweh.

Then the ending. Gosh. That was frustrating. It simply didn’t work for me. I’m not sure how much you would count as a spoiler, but let me say that it’s not the expected happily-ever-after the story is working towards. Fin starts out as a charming guy, but then the basically tells her he also has loved someone else his entire life and he still proposes to Nicolette? I would tell him to go to hell, so (view spoiler)

To be honest, I’m so let down I don’t even want to write a review about it. Sorry for this rambling mess, but I am terribly disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mechanica.

May 21, 2012 – Shelved
August 14, 2014 – Shelved as: fairytales-retellings
May 26, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley
August 28, 2015 – Started Reading
September 14, 2015 –
page 136
44.3% ""Immediately, seamlessly, it opened. I let out a breath I hadn’t known I’d been holding."\n \n And another cliche."
September 14, 2015 –
page 186
60.59% ""
September 14, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
September 14, 2015 – Shelved as: disappointing-af
September 14, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Inara Grey James I hate it when books disappoint me. I feel like they should be severely punished for such a crime.

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 1 star

Mel (Daily Prophecy) Heather wrote: "I hate it when books disappoint me. I feel like they should be severely punished for such a crime."
I think the same thing. Terrible feeling..

Lindsey Dixon Yes. Exactly. What a disappointment.