Lola's Reviews > The Moon Dwellers

The Moon Dwellers by David Estes

bookshelves: e-books-on-kobo, books-that-i-own

I got a copy in exchange for an honest review

After all the great reviews I already had read about this book I was really glad when I got an ARC to read for a blog tour. I had high expectation of this book, but it certainly was a great read with an original story.

Let me start with the story, it is a unique dystophia story. I really liked it, but I think there was a bit too much focus "love at first sight". Both characters practically are in love with each other without knowing each other. I am not a fan of insta love, so I didn't like this part of the story. Luckily there where enough great parts to compensate. Although at times it was a bit boring and I felt like there was just missing something that would've made the book awesome.

When I think about the story I also immediately think about world building. I love world building and it is certainly something a good dystophia novel should have. Well let me say the world building was great. I loved the world and it was such an unique world. We even get an explantion for how the world came to be. We get enough world building, but I still would've liked to see more how the different classes live, I hope we get more of that in the next book.

And then the characters, almost from the beginning I loved the characters. There is so much depth to them and they all have their own unique personality. And from the two main characters we get enough background to also understand why they are the way they are. Adele was such a strong female characters, I really recommend this book for those who love strong female characters. She is strong in mind and body, knows how to fight, but never initiates a fight. I also liked Tristan and the fact that he don't wants to be like his father, but clearly thinks for himself. I still think that it is a bit strange he left everything he knew just to chase a girl, but that's my opinion. The side characters where also great, they had this characteristics that made them unique and I liked learning more about them.
There where a few characters that I didn't like. Like Tristans father and "the evil guy". I just really couldn't understand why they acted like they did. And they both seemed a bit simple characters, I didn't feel like there was much depth to them.

This book uses multiple perspectives. I am a huge fan of multiple perspectives, but I think the author could've used it a bit better. I really like seeing both Tristan and Adele's perspective, it makes the story more complete and we understand them both. We also see two different stories and perspectives. The thing I didn't like about the multiple POV's is that sometimes we get to see events from both their perspectives. First we see one of their POV's and then it stwiches to the other POV and some of the events we already saw we now see from another side. Sometime it works, but most of the times I felt like it disrupted the flow of the story a bit. Also the author uses cliffhangers a bit too often, many chapters end with a small clifhanger and we get the other's POV, while I just wanted to see more from the current POV.

To conclude: a great and original story. I loved the world building and the characters. I do think there was a bit too much focus on the insta love and I think the multiple POV's could've been done better. Overal I really enjoyed the book and am curious what will happen in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Moon Dwellers.

Quotes Lola Liked

David Estes
“My dad used to say the definition of stupidity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Or maybe that was the definition of crazy.”
David Estes, The Moon Dwellers

May 21, 2012 – Shelved
June 2, 2012 – Shelved as: e-books-on-kobo
June 2, 2012 – Shelved as: books-that-i-own
June 9, 2012 – Started Reading
June 9, 2012 –
June 10, 2012 –
45.0% "Original story and world and I like the characters, but I do feel like somethings missing."
June 11, 2012 –
65.0% "I hate to admit it, but it is getting a bit boring."
June 11, 2012 –
June 12, 2012 –
95.0% "damn I really wanted to finish this last night, but was too tired :(."
June 12, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Judith (new)

Judith Post I've read a few reviews of this book, but your take is always a little different--you look for certain things--characterization and world building--and I like that.

Lola Thanks, Judith! Sometimes I have the feeling I am a bit too critic :P. I actually write most reviews with three points in mind: story, characters and world building. Those three things are really important for me in books.

message 3: by Judith (new)

Judith Post Those are the things that you always mention, and I think they work for most people. They give a good, solid base to your reviews.