Paul's Reviews > The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points Toward God

The Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel

May 21, 2012

Many things about our world seem to indicate design. Some of the points made in this book were debatable, but the majority were solid. Years ago I heard an old analogy that said the odds of our universe randomly falling into place as nicely as it has, are the same odds of a tornado blowing through a junk yard and leaving a shiny 747 airliner. The arguments in this book take scientific evidence that points to the 747-like design of our universe, and leave you to choose whether you want to have faith that they were all built by the random tornado, or that they were set in motion by a super-intelligence.

This book was better than I expected. The author interviews well-published experts in several scientific fields. It often gets quite technical for the average reader. The interviews read like a textbook at times, but he was interviewing scientists so that probably is tough to avoid. Overall I found it interesting and well worth my time.

My response to the one-star reviews of this book:
1. Yes. He only interviews experts who support intelligent design. Yes. The book is biased. That was the point. After all, the title is "The Case for a Creator". I believe there are plenty of biased books about evolution.

2. Many people simply say there isn't any "real science." Those people either didn't read it or their feelings were hurt because the science didn't agree with them and therefore was not "real science." Just because you don't agree doesn't, by itself, make it wrong. As I said, this book gets almost textbook-like in it's presentation of science.

3. Some say: If science hasn't discovered an explanation, that doesn't mean that a creator is the only explanation. The book actually discusses this, and it does not refute this argument. Play fair though. There's another side to that, right?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case for a Creator.

May 21, 2012 – Started Reading