Kristy's Reviews > Doom Rider

Doom Rider by David Gatward

May 21, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012, ya-fiction
Read in May, 2012

Wow!!! An amazing book from the incredible (and wonderfully twisted!) mind of David Gatward based around the idea of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Twelve-year-old Seth Crow travels around with his family, entertaining crowds with his gloomy predictions as Apocalypse Boy until one day, on the eve of his thirteenth birthday, a stranger called Lily provides him with the gloomiest and scariest prediction of all.

Seth has lived a thousand lives before and each time he has been murdered before he turns thirteen. Seth is Conquest, the first of the four riders of the Apocalypse. He isn’t supposed to survive to discover that fact and people are going to extraordinary lengths to make sure he dies before he can bring about the end of the world.

Seth has to find the other three riders – Strife, Famine and Death each bringing their own unique qualities, as kids and as riders. He also has to fight against his urge to destroy a world that seems to deserve to be wiped out. Ultimately will the riders save the world or obliterate it?

The thing that gets me with David Gatward’s writing is the imagery. I thought The Dead trilogy was wonderfully gruesome and gory in its descriptions; in Doom Rider he manages to take it to a whole new level. Everything is brought to life through amazing metaphors and similes, conjuring up images for every aspect and making your imagination run wild. I loved the descriptions of the horses (I want one of those horses!) and the riders, scary but you’re also always aware that the riders are essentially just kids. The action and gory details will engage the most reluctant young readers but the story can’t fail to appeal to advanced booklovers and adults too.

I was sucked into this story from the first page. It’s non-stop action with twists and turns all the way. It’s impossible to predict the ending, you will not be disappointed. If you like action, horror or just a well-written, original story I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doom Rider.