Jaron's Reviews > Already Dead

Already Dead by Charlie Huston

M 50x66
May 20, 2012

Book one of a 5 book series featuring Joe Pitt, vampire/private investigator who lives and operates in a parallel-universe version of Manhattan. To oversimplify a bit, the vampires operate in territorial clans and one of their goals is to keep the zombie population from getting out of control in order to keep the public's focus away from the supernatural in general so that they (the vampires) aren't hunted down and killed. Staying under the radar is tough considering that the vampires need fresh blood to stay "alive."

Considering how overpopulated the zombie/vampire genre is, I was pleasantly surprised by the way this story turned into something quite original by adding in the private investigator angle. I'm a big fan of Huston though his stories are awfully gory and this one was especially bloody (not too surprising considering the subject matter) and squirm-inducing in many places. I probably couldn't watch it if it were turned into a movie -- too much happened that was just too gross. Even so, I definitely plan on continuing with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Already Dead.

May 20, 2012 – Shelved