Courtney's Reviews > The Messenger

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell

May 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: christian, christian-historical-fiction, clean-romance, for-review
Read from May 20 to 22, 2012

When reading one of Siri Mitchell’s books you expect to not only fall in love with the characters but also learn some things along the way. She has such a way of weaving historical facts and believable characters in to a true love story that captures your mind and heart.

That being said, The Messenger is not even close to being my favorite book written by Siri Mitchell. Maybe I wasn’t as invested in the concept of Hannah being a Quaker spy as I should have been but it took my quite a long time to read this book and get involved. Most of the reason I didn’t really connect with this story was because of the character of Hannah. She is a Quaker and believes she should never speak a lie, not even to save her own life or any others. It wasn’t really that fact that was weird; it was how judgmental and annoying she was about it all. For some reason she just rubbed me the wrong way. But I have to admit that about 2/3 of the way through the book, she grew on me and by the end I loved her. I loved her for when she stood up for what she believed in and held to her own. She is passionate and stubborn, which makes her realistic, yet annoying at times!

Jeremiah was my favorite character of this book. He is doubtful, careless and little bitter and that serves to show great growth as the story moves along. You see him learning the truth of who is and what he believes in and it is a fun ride to see Jeremiah develop in to a lovable character!

This story is about these two complete opposite characters that somehow find each other to face the injustice of what is happening with the prisoners and war. They clash at first and don’t have many similar beliefs but as the story develops they strengthen each other, and learn to trust each other with their very lives. The romance isn’t over the top swoon worthy but it’s believable to the story and understandably sweet!

Like I said earlier, I didn’t really love this book but I didn’t dislike it either. It was very well written and opened my eyes to some things I had never heard about before and for that I’m glad I read it! If you are a historical fan of the Revolutionary War, spies, and the struggles the citizens faced then this is a must read for you!

Thank you to Bethany House for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for my personal and honest review and opinion. All opinions are my own.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Messenger.

09/30/2016 marked as: read