Alexia's Reviews > The Knockout Queen

The Knockout Queen by Rufi Thorpe

Y'all I have no idea how to feel about this book. It gets 4 stars because the writing was absolutely amazing. But for the content, I literally questioned everything I had just read after each chapter. It's an extremely interesting book, but you just never know where it's going to go until it gets there.
By the second chapter, I think I was as obsessed with Bunny as Michael was as she was just so different and the light that he writes her in makes you want to know everything about her. There were so many thought-provoking conversations on victimhood, violence, prisons, and treatment of women vs men in the justice system. They never felt forced and it helped you get into Michael's head more as he was grappling with all the circumstances occurring in his life.
One of the features I liked most about this book was the exploration of platonic soulmates. Bunny and Michael deeply loved each other even when it was harmful at times.
Overall, this book confused me. It frightened me. It saw me. I truly recommend it if you like books affecting you on a core level.
"Maybe love would never be enough. Maybe it would never do what we wanted it to do."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knockout Queen.

May 13, 2020 – Shelved