Suzanne 's Reviews > The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

bookshelves: mythology

The Goddess Test was a book I, initially, wasn't interested in reading, but when I was offered a review copy along with a copy of Goddess Interrupted, to be reviewed at my leisure, no pressure, I accepted. And I'm really glad I did. I hadn't realised I was missing out on a fantastic book. This has become one of my favourite series. I was caught up from the first few pages and I just couldn't put it down.

I really enjoyed the mythology in this book. It is loosely based on the story of Hades and Persephone. Having never had much interest in mythology, I really know very little about it. I've learned some in the last few mythology based books that I've read. This was very easy to keep up with though. I didn't feel like I was getting lots of mythology information thrown at me to try to remember throughout the book which I have in the past.

Our protag, Kate, agrees to spend the Autumn and Winter with a stranger, Henry, in exchange for the life of her friend. Her mother is dying and she doesn't want anyone else around her to die. She figures she will have very little in her life once her mother dies anyway as she has spent the last four years nursing her mother.

The world that Kate creates around Eden Manor is fascinating and exciting, I really enjoyed being immersed in it. Kate finds herself living among the dead and enjoying it. There is some mystery too. Someone wants Kate dead, and has killed the eleven girls who were there before her. Kate has ladies in waiting, a food taster and personal guards. She is rarely left alone. During the six months that she stays with Henry, she must pass a total of seven tests, then she can become immortal, Henry's wife and the Queen of the Underworld. Then she will be required to spend the autumn and winter of every year for eternity with Henry, but for the other six months, she can do as she pleases.

I really liked Kate. She steps up to the mark for other people constantly. Even when she has no real feelings for Henry, she wants to pass the tests for him, so she can see him happy and keep him from fading. She is fair when she has to judge and treats people equally.

I liked Henry too. But when he was first introduced, I wasn't sure if he was supposed to be a good or bad guy. Was he just a jailer who would lock a young girl away for six months of her life. After all, he had kidnapped Persephone. Henry was quiet and distant with Kate at first but he made sure she was comfortable and had everything she required. She just couldn't leave the grounds of Eden Manor. He was always kind and friendly, with a sadness about him, and I really warmed towards him. He is still deeply in love with Persephone and heartbroken over her leaving him. He tugged at my heart strings, but I also felt for Kate, as she really tries hard to get close to him.

The interaction and relationship between Kate and Henry was well done and I enjoyed it thorougly. Things move really slowly and we see Kate making most of the advances, which was different.

There is an enemy within the walls who wants Kate dead and it was interesting to find out who it was and the reason behind it. But Kate does make a couple of good friends in Ava and James. The ending has a few twists and turns, some of which I did see coming. From the way this ends, I do have a small concern going into the next book, a love triangle. I really hope not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.

Quotes Suzanne Liked

Aimee Carter
“I care," he said in a trembling voice. "I care so much that I do not know how to tell you without it seeming inconsequential compared to how I feel. Even if I am distant at times and seem as if I do not want to be with you, it is only because this scares me, too.”

Aimee Carter
“Do you think he's cute?"
I rolled my eyes. "He's a god, Mom. Of course he's cute.”

Aimee Carter
“I’m not, even if you think I am. But no matter what this started out as…an accident, fate, whatever—I’m glad you found me that night. Not because of what happened, but because of now. Because I get to be here with you. And I’m scared, too, but—but thank you for telling me today. Thank you for trusting me with that. I’ve never…” I pressed my lips together, trying to find the right words. “I’ve never felt like this for anyone. And I’m not really sure what falling in love feels like, but I think—I know I have. With you.”

Aimee Carter
“Did you know,” he said, his breath warm on my cheek, “that that is the first time anyone has ever told me they loved me?” Startled, I did the only thing I could think of—I kissed him again. “You’d better get used to hearing it more often, because I plan on saying it to you an awful lot.”

Aimee Carter
“But if this works-if I pass, I need to know that when you look at me, you're going to see me, not just her replacement. That there is more in this future for me than standing in the shadows while you wallow the rest of your existence away.”
tags: love