Eva Müller's Reviews > Boyfriend Material

Boyfriend Material by Alexis  Hall

it was ok
bookshelves: review-copies, queer-characters, romance

The problem I had with this book was that it felt like two wildly different genres that didn't fit together at all. On the one side, there was what was essentially a sitcom. Luc's queer friend group that could have come out of a quirky Netflix show. The gay couple where both are called James Royce and who now got married and now they're both called James Royce-Royce I wish I was making that up, the tiny angry lesbian that never says something that isn't an amusing insult, the token straight friend who always has amusing catastrophes happen at her work...I'm not saying I wouldn't watch this quirky Netflix show but I can't deny how hilariously over the top everything about it is.

Also over-the-top but not hilariously is Luc's workplace. I recognise that the incompetence of everyone there is supposed to be amusing but I just didn't find it funny at all. One colleague seemed like he was supposed to be Arthur Shappey but written by someone who had no idea what made Arthur Shappey charming and funny in the first place and the rest...to be honest I have already forgotten the rest.

Well, and the other side is not a comedy at all. Because Luc has serious issues (and so does Oliver). Perfectly understandable issues considering everything that happened to him but issues nonetheless. And because of these issues, he has some unhealthy coping mechanisms and doesn't do relationships very well. Again perfectly understandable. Only, I had to keep reminding myself of that because if Luc just had a conversation with James Royce-Royce and James Royce-Royce and then learned that due to an amusing misunderstanding a newly translated book will be titled I'm out of the office at the moment and will reply to this e-mail next week I expect that the next relationship-drama to be similarly over the top and not...this guy has trust-issues because his father and his last boyfriend were assholes and now he pushes people away instead of letting them come close.

I even think the way Luc - and later Oliver's - issues were handled and dealt with was done quite well but mixed together with the over-the-topness of the side-characters it just didn't fit together.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boyfriend Material.

May 12, 2020 – Started Reading
May 12, 2020 – Shelved
May 12, 2020 –
49.0% "*whispers* I'm not really enjoying this"
May 17, 2020 – Shelved as: review-copies
May 17, 2020 – Shelved as: queer-characters
May 17, 2020 – Shelved as: romance
May 17, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Skye Kilaen Helpful review, thank you.

message 2: by Eva (new) - rated it 2 stars

Eva Müller Skye wrote: "Helpful review, thank you."

It's a shame because separately I enjoyed both parts of the story but together they just didn't work