~Tina~'s Reviews > Obsession

Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout

May 20, 2012

bookshelves: jennifer-rocks, adults, sci-fi, read-2013, favorites, own-copy

Obsession by Jennifer L. Armentrout is the adult spin-off to her YA series, Lux, that features the Arum's side of things. In this book, we meet Serena Cross who just witnessed her best friend being killed by a Luxen after she witnessed one of them in their...true form. Hunter is a bad-ass big shot Arum that has been brought in by the DOD to protect Serena from the Luxen's who's after her next. Only thing is Hunter doesn't do babysitting-human jobs, but he'll soon learn that this is one human who he wont be able to resist.

Wow! I never though I'd say this, but I think I just fell for an Arum! That sounds so strange to me since we've been lead to believe for three and half books now that the Arum's are these vicious, unfeeling creatures and the Luxen are the good peaceful guys, but after reading this book, it looks like both of these two races each have their own flaws. I have to admit, I wasn't use to seeing the Luxen in a different light (pardon the pun) so it left a funny taste in my mouth to see that they can be just as dangerous and deadly as their enemies, but even though I'm still a Lux girl, I can safely say that at least one Arum managed to capture my heart.

With the risk of sounding like a broken record, I can't begin to express how much I adore/love/worship Jennifer's writing. It's so easy to slip and sink into her world and get lost in the pages and never wanting it to end. I absolutely love that Jennifer wrote this book. What a fun and amazing glimpse into an already loved and familiar universe, but this one is very much all grown-up. I loved that we get to see through the eyes of the Arums and learn more about their powers, history and their positions with the DOD. Again, it was different to see the Lux so cruel, but this was a good different since it feels like I have a better understanding of them. There is no bad and good aliens here, like humans, they to have a little bit of both. I quickly feel in love with this book, it's filled with heart pounding excitement, action punched kiss-ass characters and sizzling hot sexy-times that will you breathless and begging for more.

I can't believe how quickly I felt connected to these characters. I blame Jennifer's effortless writing. But a little warning to Hunter's character, he's not an easy guy to love right away, but I'll be dame, this man really knows how to inflict a reaction.
Hunter is probably one of the most difficult characters that I've come across in awhile. This one is pretty much a mash-up of Daemon, Seth and Cam put together but dipped in extra spicy arrogance and peppered with impossible that comes out oozing with dominating sex-appeal. I wasn't sure if I wanted to strangle or straddle him, but I'm thinking a little of both. To get under that loaded attitude, thick skin and hard head of his requires tools peeps, but luckily Serena is equipped with handling our fair Arum just fine.
Serena Cross has always been a walk-the-straight-line, level headed girl so when she finds out that aliens not only exist but one killed her best friend and another one kidnaps her, she thinking that now is a good time to panic...or get kissed unconscious for a couple of days works to. I love this women's voice. She has classic spunk and a sassyness that's entirely all her. I loved how she brought Hunter down a notch or two. Slowly pealing off those bastard-layers and finding someone that's protective and caring. Someone almost human. These two have delicious off-the-charts chemistry, fun filled banter and warm wonderful moments.

Jennifer L. Armentrout has done it again! I can never get enough of this women's books. Obsession is a tantalizing treat to the Lux universe. I only hope that one day I'll be able to add it to my shelf. This is written as a stand-alone but you wont hear me complain if we ever got more. A fun, sexy and purely entertaining novel prefect for JLA fans. You'll never be able to look at an Arum the same way again!
Loved!!!

(e-ARC won through Entangled Publishing) Huge thanks!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Obsession.

May 20, 2012 – Shelved
May 15, 2013 – Started Reading
May 15, 2013 –
1.0% "Oh Happy Day!!!!"
May 16, 2013 –
1.0% "One comment about the cover....the women looks a lot like a younger Helena Bonham Carter XD Just saying;)"
May 17, 2013 –
page 180
72.29% "Dammmme Hunter is one hawt SOB!!"
May 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Your shelf is awesome LOL!

~Tina~ Crystal wrote: "Your shelf is awesome LOL!"

Haha ^^ I just saw that comment. I'm guessing your talking about my Jennifer-rocks shelf? lol

message 3: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Yes LOL!! The Oh happy day was hilarious too :P

message 4: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Happy reading Twinie! I can't wait for this. Hope it is good :)

message 5: by ~Tina~ (last edited May 16, 2013 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Crystal wrote: "Yes LOL!! The Oh happy day was hilarious too :P"

Any day is happy when I have a JLA book in my hand lol XD

~Tina~ Thanks Twinie!!! ~bounces~

Jess what exactly is this? spin-off?

~Tina~ It's an adult companion to the Lux books.

~Tina~ Thanks Sam!
I know!! Isn't Jennifer wild? I love that she gave us an Arum pov. It was pretty fun but very adult lol

message 10: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Great review, Tina! I can't wait to read this! Wow the Arum aren't quite evil? Maybe these two alien races need to work things out and kick the DOD's butt!

message 11: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Awesome review! I am definitely shocked that you feel in love with an Arum. Can't wait for this book. Only 10 more days :)

~Tina~ ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Great review, Tina! I can't wait to read this! Wow the Arum aren't quite evil? Maybe these two alien races need to work things out and kick the DOD's butt!"

Oh the Arum are still evil, but we have at least one Arum who isn't so bad;) lol I hope you enjoy this sexy companion!:)

~Tina~ Nic wrote: "Awesome review! I am definitely shocked that you feel in love with an Arum. Can't wait for this book. Only 10 more days :)"

Hehe! Thanks Twinie!! What can I say? Hunters gotz skills:p lol Happy reading!:)

Amber Awesome review, Teeny!! I can't wait to dive in!!

~Tina~ Thanks Amber!! Happy reading!:)

Molly Talbert So excited for this one! Just got it! And I really can't wait for Origin! Great review!

Jamie Yay!! Awesome review and I CANNOT wait to read this one !!!

~Tina~ Molly wrote: "So excited for this one! Just got it! And I really can't wait for Origin! Great review!"

Thank-you:) Hope you enjoy this and I can't wait for Origin as well. I'm in love with all JLA books;) lol

message 19: by ~Tina~ (last edited Jun 02, 2013 03:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~Tina~ Jamie wrote: "Yay!! Awesome review and I CANNOT wait to read this one !!!"

Thank-you and Happy Reading!!Enjoy the hotness that is Hunter:D

message 20: by Book (new) - added it

Book I've read the first 2 books in the Lux series. Should I read the rest that are out before reading this one?

~Tina~ You can if you want, but you don't need to read the Lux books to get into this one. This is a standalone adult companion that is based in the same world of the Lux/Arum but with entirely new characters. So either way you should be good:)