Dija's Reviews > At Peace

At Peace by Kristen Ashley

Rating: A very, very generous two stars.

Before I begin my rant (because that's pretty much all this review is), I'd like to clarify something: I adore Kristen Ashley. To me, she's the Walt Disney of adult fiction. Her stories are unforgettable, fulfilling, and utterly beautiful.

That being said, At Peace didn't do it for me. At all. I had a number of issues with this book, and most of them are because of the heroine, Violet.

To begin with, the relationship between Violet and Tim, her first husband, wasn't really explained that well. They were together for nearly two decades but right after she jumped into bed with another man, she barely thought about him. That's not only weird, but highly unrealistic as well.

And throughout the story, she never felt guilty about sleeping with or loving someone else. I understand about moving on, but some people you just never fully get over (especially not a little over two years later), and one of them should be your husband of 20 years. So either her relationship with Tim wasn't as perfect as is portrayed or she really didn't love him as much as she supposedly claimed. Either way, I would have appreciated the story a lot more if there had been further clarification about where exactly Violet and Tim stood as a couple.

Onto the present romance. To sum it up, I couldn't believe how Violet acted. The fuck, calling cheating and leading a poor man on as "looking out for myself" while sleeping regularly with another man, and when the former confronts you about it, having a breakdown and acting like you've been the one wronged in all of this?! Uggghhh!! This woman got on my very last nerve, I swear.

Another constant wtf moment? Whenever anyone went on and on and freakin' on about what a "prize" Violet was (I know that's a KA constant, but it really bugged me in this one). I tried hard to be forgiving and all, but a two-timing cow is a two-timing cow and that sorta wipes out a lot of the good, yes? It does as far as I'm concerned.

I only began to stop hating her after 81% (yes, I was keeping track). And I only fully stopped hating her at 97%.

Surprisingly, I didn't hate Joe all that much. I disliked him immensely but I never felt he was being two-faced (unlike a certain someone else, ahem). I eventually came to like him, but I don't think I'll ever love him.

The only highlight in this loooong book was the budding romance between Benny and Frankie. I'm absolutely ecstatic they'll be getting their own book soon. My initial plan after finishing At Peace was to give up on the rest of the series, but I'll be reading on because I'm highly interested in reading Mike and Benny's respective books. Really hope they're both better than this one.

For more reviews, visit my blog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Peace.

05/20/2012
12.0% "Please tell me he's going to stop calling her "buddy" soon. Please." 13 comments
05/21/2012
37.0% "And just when I was beginning to gain a little bit of respect for Violet..." 4 comments
05/21/2012
39.0% "Admitting you're a slut doesn't make you any less of one." 19 comments
05/22/2012
51.0% "I feel like a bitch for saying this, but Violet had it coming. I'm only surprised it took this long."
05/24/2012
69.0% "It took 10 pages for Violet to realize Joe was telling her that he was moving in. So, not only is she a slut, she's also stupid. Awesome." 17 comments
05/25/2012
87.0% "I'm finally at peace with Joe. Bad pun intended."
05/26/2012
93.0% "A psycho claims he killed your lover and you believe him, just like that, no questions asked? And are already drowning in grief? For Peeta's sake, woman, try to be at least a little smarter than that!" 3 comments
05/26/2012
100.0% "There's no more on Benny and Frankie? NOOOO!!!" 10 comments
07/16/2016 marked as: read

Jenn This one unfortunately was my least favorite in the series.

Baba  Good and honest review, Dija. Well, do tell us how you really feel about this book. :-)
I hope your next KA read will be more satisfying.

Dija @Jenn: Agreed! You've got my hopes up about Mike's book though, so I'm really looking forward to getting to know him better. ;)

@Rachel: LOL! Adequately put. XD

@Baba: Thank you! I ended up reading Mystery Man soon after this, and I completely loved it! I think this is one of the rare books among KA's many that didn't work for me; otherwise, I adore her stories. :)

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura haha....I don't know how you made it to the end! :)
Love the honesty and emotion!

Dija That's actually one of the special things about KA's novels, Laura. I started this book and decided to put it aside after the first chapter, but had to pick it back up because even with the little I had read, I simply couldn't not know how it would end. If nothing else, this book was a very compelling read. :)

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura I have to read KA soon! You make her sound irresistible! :) I won’t start with this one though. ;)

message 8: by Dija (last edited Jun 11, 2012 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija LOL, that's a wise decision! I didn't realize you hadn't read anything by KA before. You should start with her Colorado Mountain series. They're what initially made me become such a hardcore fan of hers.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura I meant to read Sweet Dreams with the smut ladies, but I got caught up with life and work. *rolls eyes* Hate that! :) Soon hopefully!

♥Rachel♥ Dija, I loved KA's Sweet Dreams! Tate and Laurie were amazing!!Now I want to go back & read The Gambler.

message 11: by Dija (last edited Jun 11, 2012 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija @Laura: Start with the first book. SD is more popular, but something about TG has always tugged at my heart. It has a lot to do with the setting - a cabin way up on the Colorado mountains, and the descriptions are just lovely. Most of it is because of the couple though. I love their romance. :)

@Rachel: I loved their book too! I liked how significant the title was to the story and melted whenever Tate said "Sweet dreams".

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura The Gambler is the first book? It sounds beautiful! Will do! Thanks, Dija. :)

message 13: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija It's actually The Gamble and it is beautiful. My personal favorite. Hope you love it as much as I did whenever you get around to reading it. :D

message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan My favorite out of KA's Burg series is Mike. But, it was mostly because of Fin >.< watch when you read it I fell for him more than Mike.

message 15: by Dija (last edited Jun 11, 2012 01:35PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Oh, dear, my list of anticipated heroes to read about keeps on increasing. Not that I'm complaining, LOL. Thanks for the heads-up, Megan. I'm even more eager about reading Mike's book now. ;)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Sorry this one didn't work out for you. I love KA but I am skeptical about this series.

message 17: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn Megan wrote: "My favorite out of KA's Burg series is Mike. But, it was mostly because of Fin >.< watch when you read it I fell for him more than Mike."

I LOVED Finn too. I liked him even more than Mike as well. lol I even mentioned to KA that there should be a sweet side story about Finn and his woman and what takes place in the epilogue. lol I didn't want their story to end so soon. We only got them for a small time in Mike's book.

@ Laura-I love KA and all her stories. It's unfortunate that there is one book to each series that doesn't work for me. Like this one didn't work for me. But the rest of the books in this series were great. Definitely read book 1 first, Colt and Feb's story. You could prob skip this story...lol. You wouldn't be missing much except for Vi trying to date Mike and Cal. Then you get Mike's story 2 stories later.

@ Dija- I loved Tanner's story, book 3. And Mike's story was good but even better with his daughters side story romance with Finn. I loved Finn. :o) I want an older version of Finn. lol

Stacia (the 2010 club) Nice and honest review girl.

message 19: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija @JoJo: Honestly, if I hadn't already read two books, I would have never contemplated finishing this series. I didn't like the first book all that much, and clearly didn't like this one either. You might wanna read selected titles though, like Benny's upcoming book and Mike's.

@Jenn: Your favorite book so far in the series has been Tanner's?

@Stacia: Thanks! :)

message 20: by Jenn (last edited Jun 12, 2012 01:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn Yep. I LOVED Tanner's book and I loved Mikes book. Mike's book was good but when Finn and Mike's daughter hit the scene, they over took it for me. :o) I can't wait to read about Frankie and Benny. I loved Tanner's boys, Trip and Jasper. They were funny and I loved Trips nickname: Trip-O-Matic. Out of KA's 5 series I've read, The 'Burg is my top favorite followed by Rock Chicks. Dream Men and Colorado Mountains are a toss up. I also liked Colt a lot.

message 21: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Will Finn be getting his own book or is his story completed in GotH?

I'm trying really hard to not start all of KA's series at once; right now, I'm reading two of them and I still need to catch up on both (The Burg and Dream Man). But I'm really, really tempted to start Rock Chicks as well, LOL. Must save something for later though!

message 22: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn Finn so far has no plans to have his own story. His is neatly told as a side story in Mike's story. But Finn and the daughter do have a great ending in the epilogue. It's why I asked KA to expand upon it. I want to see more of them and of the story from the epilogue.
Oh Rock Chicks..man those men are freaking alpha's! lol Some of the women in that series can be annoying, but wow, the men...another story. :o)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Jenn aren't they all alphas. LOL

message 24: by Jenn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenn LOL! True true

Bakudis Great review, hit the important issue in this book,,, love it, love u review so much dija :)

message 26: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Aw, thank you. :)

Allison I loved your review Dija, you articulated my feelings so well. I love KA and I have read all the Colorado Mountain, Rock Chick and Dream Man series and loved all of them, but Mike's story apart, I just couldn't enjoy the Burg series but I disliked this one the most. I never thought I'd ever say this about a KA book, but I had to force myself to finish this book, it dragged so badly.

I often think KA heroines do stupid things or I don't get why they do stuff, but I like the unpredictability of that. They don't act as I'd expect and so it's a roller coaster read, but Violet, I genuinely disliked her. She casually hurt people's feelings to protect her own and I'm just not ok with that, I couldn't get over it and so it ruined the book for me. Joe deserved to much more.

message 28: by Dija (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dija Thanks, Allison. That's exactly how I feel too. After reading CM, I was really excited about starting this series, but book 1 was pretty bad and this one was just horrible. I still haven't gotten around to reading the next one.

I agree with everything you said in that second paragraph, except I don't think Joe deserved better. They sorta deserved each other, and hey, he got Violet's daughters as part of the package. XD But ugh, I still get so angry thinking about Violet and her attitude. She's such a SLUT.

bookBoo Thank you! Totally agree with your description of Violet. You said everything perfectly. But I am going to continue the series as well. I enjoyed For You, and I want to read more about Mike and Benny as well.

bookBoo Honestly, I'm surprised none of Violet's friends told her she shouldn't do that to Mike and Joe. I mean, if it's taking to you time to decide, than take the time. But don't jump from one to the other.