Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}'s Reviews > Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

May 20, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: childrens, classics, library-books, read-in-2012, male-authors, m-read
Read on May 25, 2012

I decided to read this after hearing of the author's death and seeing this book's popularity. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy it. The story seemed pretty pointless to me. There's no moral and the boy learns nothing. It's a snapshot of a boy's imagination. However, I did enjoy the illustrations of the monsters. Having been published in 1963 perhaps this book is a product of its time, lovingly remembered by those who were read this as children and who wish to pass it on to their own offspring. Or maybe it just wasn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Wild Things Are.

message 1: by Regina (new)

Regina Wow Ames! I couldn't disagree more. A spoilt brat? From my experience he is a pretty normal kid. :) All kids act up at home, something that is not likely shown always outside of the house. Acting up doesn't always warrant punishment or harsh discipline, but I can see my point of view is likely different as I have 4 kids. A normal child will not do what their parents find acceptable and often. My 4 kids (3 to 12) love this book. I hate to disagree with you here but I gotta say sometimes books are just for fun, imagination, etc. Which is fine, this book has that. And sometimes there are morals present in books, and there is a moral here and a very important one. No matter how far we venture, no matter what happens, love and comfort will be found at home and with parents. Additionally, the book can be seen as catharetic and a growth piece on how people learn to master feelings, anger, etc. And finally, it is about acceptance and love. I would definitely say it isn't just a product of its time, kids and parents still love this book and it continues to be pretty darned popular.

I hope you didn't buy it since you were so unhappy with it!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} I got it from the library.

message 3: by Regina (new)

Regina Good! I was worried you paid full price!