Jessica's Reviews > Five Children and It

Five Children and It by E. Nesbit

May 20, 2012

it was ok

Free to download, and recommended by J. K. Rowling, this seemed like a simple diversion while I waited for the book I really wanted to read. And, mostly, it was. The story of 5 Victorian siblings who find a wish-granting fairy felt very familiar and generally sweet. You already know how things will turn out. "Be careful what you wish for." In a world populated by a maid, nurse, cook... yes, overly privileged children who are simply wishing for something to pass the time. Other than the classicism, it was all fine and harmless. Until the chapter entitled "Scalp." You know where this is going. Now I am wrestling with whether or not to remove the book from my library. So much for a "simple diversion."

End decision: This book does more cultural harm than it has value. I will remove it from my collection. (note: the copy I have is only a cheap paperback, and my library is for children, not adult readers of children's literature.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Children and It.

Sunil Oh man, I loved this book when I was a kid! But I remember very little from it now, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Jessica Scalping... as in stereotypical portrayals of native americans as bloodthirsty savages.