Mollee's Reviews > Kissing Shakespeare

Kissing Shakespeare by Pamela Mingle

bookshelves: ya-read

I absolutely devoured ​Kissing Shakespeare​ by Pamela Mingle. Miranda is a modern day teen who grew up on the stage, in the shadow of her Shakespeare-performing parents. When a strange classmate, Stephen Langsford, sweeps her back to the 16th century and explains her mission to seduce a teenaged Shakespeare in order to keep him on course to become the Bard, she can hardly believe what's happening - let alone grasp what he's asking for her. It's mysterious and romantic, well-written and engaging.

While I respect Shakespeare and recognize all the many sayings we use today thanks to his witty writing, I've never really enjoyed reading the plays (this coming from a girl with a degree in comparative literature!). I think it's "just not for" some folks. Anyways, Kissing Shakespeare made him a likeable person (albeit, fictional) and I'm far more interested in trying to better understand his work now. Mingle is a librarian by trade (yay for librarians!) and this is her first novel, which she executed it beautifully - you can tell how she pays careful attention to realistic dialogue (including the language of the 16th century compared to Miranda's modern slang), captures the roller coaster of emotions between characters and keeps you interested throughout the novel.

I felt that there would be a resolution that would make this a stand-alone novel, but the last sentence now has me hoping for a sequel!

If you're looking for a suspenseful, romantic and unique read, DEFINITELY pick up Kissing Shakespeare and hopefully you'll enjoy every page!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kissing Shakespeare.

Started Reading