Robert Owens's Reviews > The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man

The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man by Michael Chabon

bookshelves: 3-0, fiction, superhero, simile, onomatopoeia, own
Read 10 times. Last read September 5, 2019.

What a cute book!

My five-year old son loves superheroes. Awesome Man is right up his alley. He had read it with his aunt prior to bringing it to me to read to him. He loved showing me all the kewl things in it. I really liked how the shadows of Awesome Man changed.

My son asked me if I had a secret identity when we finished. How neat is that?

I liked the story and the awesome grip that Awesome Man has. The illustrations complemented the story perfectly. Good job!

This is a good book to use with my fourth graders. Good similes and onomatopoeia are seen throughout.
****
How best to bring the end of Spring Break? Reading Awesome Man, of course. Fritz brought this book downstairs this morning. He kept showing me the kewl shadows in the book and speaking of secret identities. After the cooking was done, it was time to read this again.

Getting into announcer mode a la the original Superman, we had a blast reading about the positrons, Flashing Eyeball, and the super power grip. After this awesome experience, Fritz provided me with a power grip of his own. Yeah, that was totally awesome!

Read this book!
****
Fritz spent the day in a water park and then riding rides on the boardwalk. It was an exhausting day. Even though it was late and he was obviously tired, he still wanted a bedtime story. He selected our favorite here. :)

My buddy is awesome!
****
Now that my boy is older, I have co-opted the book for my classroom. ;)

Love this book! So do my students. This year I had a special surprise for my students (and visiting teachers) with this book.

My classroom decor is superheroes. As such, this book fits in well. I decided to move this read way up in the school year. This year we read it on day 2. After discussing the book, I let them in on the secret: I am Awesome Man. They giggled and laughed. Then I said, "I can prove it!"

At that, I calmed the students and said, "Okay Google, what is my name." And the cardboard assistant Fritz and I had built last year responded, "You are Awesome Man!"

The class howled! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man.

May 20, 2012 – Started Reading