Jenny's Reviews > David Boring

David Boring by Daniel Clowes

May 20, 2012

liked it

David Boring is a surreal story that unfolds so quickly that you're left wondering what just happened. It feels like watching a film at double-speed... and surprisingly, this isn't exactly a bad thing.

Daniel Clowes explores love and obsession through fast-paced action and carefully-considered drawings that often feel like film shots.

The protagonist - David Boring - is engaging and just about grounded enough to keep you afloat as the plot unfurls, but there are so many additional characters who appear suddenly and often without comment, that it's easy to feel lost at times.

The plot certainly isn't plausible but Clowes gets away with this through the amalgamation of film noir and blockbuster style storytelling... unfortunately this is also its downfall - while it creates a unique and engaging tone, it leads to confusion and sometimes, I think, a few plot points too many.

I feel like I would need to read David Boring again to get the most out of it... but overall, I think I'd be willing to make the effort.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read David Boring.