Jill Swanson-Diaz's Reviews > Amethyst Eyes

Amethyst Eyes by Debbie Brown

May 20, 2012

bookshelves: arc-or-review-copy, young-adult, on-the-blog, self-published

What a great read! Just the right amount of sy fy mixed with slice of life. I can never get enough of space travel :]

There is a review and author interview up on my blog!
Look for it www.littlehyuts.blogspot.com

(I received a copy of Amethyst Eyes from the author as a review copy)

I have given this book 5 stars! I do not give out five star ratings often but I truly think this book deserved it!
I had been looking for a story just like this and then, BAM! I met Debbie Brown and there it was.
This book is science fiction but that in no way means do you have to be a sy fy buff to enjoy it. This book could easily be enjoyed by people of all ages and walks of life.
Amethyst Eyes is much more than just your typical sy fy read.
The futuristic space world and gadgetry are fantastic! Not to complicated and so believable. Their presence is not so overwhelming in the story that you forget this book is really about a young boy trying to find his place in foreign territory, while overcoming the impact of substantial loss.
You get to grow and connect with Debbie's characters on such a great level!

Tommy's character was not afraid to show emotion, which is something I loved about this book. Often male characters appear so stoic and even, if I dare to say, typical.
From the gripping beginning, where Tommy looses his mother in a car accident, to his new and complicated relationship with his father, the reader is able to relate and feel just how conflicted Tommy must be. As he develops a new understanding of himself and his world, the reader grows right along with him.

Debbie was able to create two worlds for Tommy that were both detailed and believable. She kept Tommy's character and how he fit into his worlds real as well. This was the other thing I really loved about Amethyst Eyes. Tommy remained who he was throughout the story. Often in fantasy and science fiction novels, the characters will enter their new world and suddenly they are vastly different. They develop crazy powers and become an expert on their new surroundings in such a short time. This is where Debbie's characters differ and it made the book so much more enjoyable for me.

I just love it when a book brings "the full experience" to you. This book did just that for me. You never quite know what is in store for Tommy next and it leaves you with just the right amount of questions.
Bring on the sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amethyst Eyes.

May 20, 2012 – Shelved
May 24, 2012 – Started Reading
May 24, 2012 –
page 60
20.55% "This book is exactly what I needed!"
May 25, 2012 – Shelved as: arc-or-review-copy