Sophie's Reviews > Breadcrumbs

May 20, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: mc-with-a-death-wish

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I really enjoyed the fairytale atmosphere that Ursu gave this book, but in the end, I couldn't help but notice that everything happened too quickly, and that none of the magic seemed real enough (which is an oxymoron, I know). There just wasn't enough to make the world truly come alive, though it did have the light, strange quality that I associate with fairytales. Also, there were points when Ursu would switch to the present tense, and those bothered me because they were random and jolted me out of the rhythm of the story.

Overall, a wonderful middle grade book, though the main character does have some strangely mature moments once in a while. I read this to my little sister, and even though her attention wandered in the beginning and she cried when I threatened not to read to her anymore if she didn't pay attention, she did end up liking it (and I did too!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breadcrumbs.

May 20, 2012 – Shelved
May 28, 2012 – Started Reading
May 29, 2012 –
page 36
11.54% "This has that lovely fairytale quality that I was looking for."
May 31, 2012 –
page 80
25.64% "Fifth grader boys are such little bastards. Thank goodness I'm not reading to them tomorrow."
June 2, 2012 –
page 204
65.38% "I was rooting for Hazel to ditch Jack and live with Ben in his little love shack before I realized I was reading a middle grade novel and that Hazel and Ben are, like...five years apart. Heh."
June 2, 2012 – Finished Reading