Terri's Reviews > Cold Days

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

F 50x66
May 19, 2012

I've said it before... Butcher's Dresden Files are my guilty pleasure. My son convinced me to try the first novel in the series, and I was hooked. I read one, then discovered the fantastic readings of James Marsters on the audiobooks. Now Marsters IS Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden for me. I eagerly await the release of each. Book 13 disappointed, not through any fault of the writing, but because Marsters was not the reader. Now he is back, and all's right with Dresden again.

I was a bit fearful that Cold Days would find Harry trying to wriggle out of his bargain with Mab that restored his life and health in return for his becoming her Winter Knight. Thankfully, that is not the case. Harry's return finds him struggling to maintain his honor and humanity despite bearing the Winter mantle. Once again, he must face off against supernatural foes of overwhelming strength and numbers with little time to prepare. Someone is trying to planning to destroy the wards that hold unspeakable evil at bay on Demonreach, but who, how and why are a mystery. Will Harry have to confront Nicodemus and his followers, the Black Council, the She, Outsiders, or a new, as yet unknown foe? The answer is surprising and, as always, contains twists and turns that are heavy with implications for the future and sure to surprise and intrigue readers.

I liked this book a lot. It makes connections and unites elements from early in the series with new questions that promise several more novels in the series. The only drawback for me was the large increase in the amount of vulgar language in this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Days.