booklady's Reviews > 7 Secrets of the Eucharist

7 Secrets of the Eucharist by Vinny Flynn

bookshelves: 2010, church-documents, books-on-books, classic, food, must-have, non-fiction, philosophy, prayer, religion, scripture, spiritual, theology, worth-reading-over-and-over, 2015
Recommended to booklady by: Pete Caccavari
Recommended for: all Christians

April 15, 2015: Reread this for the class I'll be presenting next week. Enjoyed it very much again this time! Mr. Flynn imparts his love of the LORD to his readers.

April 1-May 3, 2010: I began this on Holy Thursday night in Adoration and finished it the day after my class made their First Holy Communion.

It's been a wonderful contemplation of the great mystery of the Holy Eucharist. Had I been its author, I might have entitled the book, “The Seven Mysteries of the Eucharist” because rather than secrets, each chapter idea presented by the author takes you deeper into the truths about our sacred Communion with God in the Holy Sacrament which only reveal vast unexplored oceans opening up of greater mystery and wonder.

Of all the chapters, my favorite was the last, although that might change on subsequent readings. The seventh secret, ‘there's no limit to the number of times we can receive’, refers to the time-honored, but sadly neglected tradition of spiritual communion. As a little girl I was taught that when we are unable to receive the actual Body and Blood of Our Lord in Holy Communion—for whatever reason—we may ask Jesus to come to us in an act of ‘spiritual come-union’ which, while not a replacement for the physical reception of the Blessed Sacrament, is true longing for union with Christ and through this genuine desire from our heart to His, brings Him to us and is unlimited.

Spiritual communion is explained beautifully and simply in this chapter, as are the other wonders of the Eucharist throughout this book. An excellent read for any time but especially during Adoration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 7 Secrets of the Eucharist.

September 19, 2008 – Shelved