Reed's Reviews > Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey

May 19, 2012

Read in June, 2012

A top notch limited to the solar system space opera by James Corey, aka Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I've been searching for sf to tickle that space opera jones lately, and this fit the bill perfectly. I love the way the two authors alternated chapters from the points of view of the two protagonists. You'd expect the writing to feel choppy written is such a manner, but the fact they authors edited each other's chapters seemed to help the novel feel like a cohesive whole.

The book takes place in the solar system, where there is an obvious divide between the priviledged inner planets, Earth and Mars, and the limited resources outer belters. War is coming, seemingly inevitably, and Captain Holden and Detective Miller are smack dab in the middle of it all. Toss in a disturbing turn-people-to-goo disease with possibly alien origins and the novel has a lot going on.

So much so, that it is the first book of a series. I understand some readers were decidedly unhappy with the ending, and I expected to be upset as well as I'd read so many folks' complaints. I had no issues with the ending at all. Perhaps readers did not know Leviathan is the first book of a series, or they did not like the fact there are huge story threads that are not neatly tied up.

I don't particularly care. I liked it, and I feel it fully deserves it's Hugo nomination.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leviathan Wakes.