Ranger's Reviews > City of Golden Shadow

City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams

May 19, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2008

I'll use this to review the entire series rather than by single books. I haven't read any other of Tad William's other Fantasy series. He has written a lot and they're all really massive scale epics. Otherland boarders on 3,000+ pages over it's 4 book span and it took me a great deal of time to read, spanning over three continents but I eventually got to the end and thoroughly enjoyed it all. The book tethers Sci-Fi and Fantasy nicely, the Sci-Fi aspect is firmly embedded within the 'Cyber World' and it was written during the infancy of online gaming and social networking. I wont go as far as to label this series as a 'Dystopian' story, however, Tad Williams has been heavily inspired by dystopia and in all honesty, all heroes need a massive scale oppressive society to defy and conquer, right? The link between real life and the cyber world are akin to the popular Hollywood Movie series 'The Matrix' in which both are intricately connected with consequences on either side of the interface affecting the other, even mortally.

I read this a long time ago but it sticks to mind as one of the most gripping reads, perhaps if I read it now, with the advances of Cyber technology it may seem passe, however, at the time of reading it was an engrossing ride through some imaginary worlds.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Golden Shadow.