Judith's Reviews > Cat Daddy: What the World's Most Incorrigible Cat Taught Me About Life, Love, and Coming Clean

Cat Daddy by Jackson Galaxy

May 19, 2012

Read from May 19 to 22, 2012

As with other books written with a co-author, the writing is not excellent. But the story is clear and well-told. Like many others, I am a fan of My Cat from Hell, the Animal Planet television show starring Jackson Galaxy. I knew from the first episode that this was The Guy. He gets cats completely. And he essentially learned by intuition. Yes, he read a lot of books while working with cats in a Boulder humane society, but he didn't swallow everything he read. He tested it against his own intuition, which became stronger the more he observed cats.

But I'm jumping a little ahead here. The story is primarily a biography of Galaxy as he wends his way from a somewhat heady existence as a drug-abusing musician to a sober cat behaviorist. He lays it all bare here, and I'd be surprised of there are many who can't relate to some of his addiction stories. In between the confessions about his personal life he talks about how he learned Cat, and especially about his relationship with a kitten that he fostered, then adopted - Benny. Clearly Benny was the original Cat from Hell. Galaxy says he learned it all from him, or almost all. He had to learn to set his ego aside and watch and listen, and not go in with preconceived notions. This approach has served him well over the years that he has worked as an in-home consultant, working with cats with behavior problems.

He actually works more with the cat guardians, although he actually has trained some cats using a clicker. Many guardians do not know what cats need, or what their particular cat needs. Some Guardians need to learn how to hold a cat and when it's okay to do so.

Ultimately, this is a success story. We don't learn about when Animal Planet contacted Galaxy (or if it was the other way around) but we do learn how he got to be the behaviorist he is, without benefit of degrees. And we learn how he learned to be vulnerable, perhaps the biggest step of all in his ability to reach out to cats. In some parts this is a highly moving book, certainly it is a remarkable story. ANd it has many cat tips besides! Such a bonus! I am keeping it in my permanent collection, for reference.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cat Daddy.

05/19/2012 page 62