Lucia's Reviews > Wake

Wake by Amanda Hocking

May 19, 2012

Another fantastic read from Hocking. Her success has really grown since her self-pubbed Trylle series, and she seriously deserves it.

She's a great writer, and an even better storyteller. I found myself entranced by her book, just as Gemma was entranced by the water. The book was mostly light, but there was this dark cloud that kind of floated above it the whole time. Those pretty girls are not as pretty as you think they are. Creepy... It also makes me think of Mean Girls.

There was a fantastic set of secondary characters. Harper kind of shared the spotlight with Gemma, and I enjoyed her story just as much (if not more) as Gemma's. Alex was such a sweet guy, although he didn't add a lot to the story, IMHO. Daniel was probably my favorite character. I loved seeing his relationship build with Harper, and he was an awesome dude. (I can't really put it into other words.) The parents were even in the picture (ha, don't see that in YA nowadays), but Hocking put a little twist in their dynamic that made the story much deeper and sadder.

The story itself moved at a slightly less-than-comfortable slow pace, but I still enjoyed it nevertheless. It really built up at the end, and I am looking forward to picking up the sequel next year. Thanks to the pubs for the chance to review this book, and thanks to Ms. Hocking for another well-spent few hours!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.