Linda Rollins's Reviews > Island of Bones

Island of Bones by Imogen Robertson

May 19, 2012

Read in May, 2012

The story starts with the hanging of a man for the murder of his own father, rapidly followed by the discovery of a mysterious body in someone else’s tomb. The intelligent but aloof Gabriel (brother of the hanged man) and the feisty Harriet, whose relationship to Gabriel is never fully explained, are brought in to solve the puzzle.

A gothic whodunit set in the 18th century. The story has wonderful historical snippets and possesses a real sense of the period. And there are some fabulously comic lines dropped in here and there. The author really picks up on the religious reality of the time when ancient pagan practices mingled with Christian teachings.

My one complaint about this book is that there are too many different characters popping up all over the place; so much so that I found it a little confusing and difficult to follow at times.

I very much enjoyed this book, however, for its interpretation of the gothic, its drama and intrigue, suspense and the way in which we really get a sense of period through the author’s style of writing. I especially enjoyed the character of Casper.

This is a book I will keep hold of and read again. The one advantage of having that complexity I mentioned earlier is that I will hopefully find out something new with each re-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island of Bones.