Jim's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Sep 19, 2008

bookshelves: scifi, 1paper, 2fiction, 3classics

If you haven't read it, you should. I never re-read this book, although I get it out & look at it occasionally. It's too heart breaking.

Charlie, the title of the movie made from this book & the name of the hero, is retarded. Science gives him intelligence, along with Algernon, a lab rat. The story is told through Charlie's diary & feels very personal. Very well done.

*** Spoiler Alert *****

Charlie gains intelligence, love & yet no mastery of his fate. He becomes a genius & then watches Algernon's decline, knowing it was going to happen to him, but he continues to write in his diary. We follow his rise & then his fall - it's amazingly poignant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.

Finished Reading
September 19, 2008 – Shelved
September 19, 2008 – Shelved as: scifi
December 11, 2013 – Shelved as: 1paper
October 21, 2014 – Shelved as: 2fiction
October 23, 2014 – Shelved as: 3classics
February 21, 2017 – Started Reading (Audio Cassette Edition)
February 21, 2017 – Shelved (Audio Cassette Edition)
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 1audio (Audio Cassette Edition)
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 2fiction (Audio Cassette Edition)
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 3classics (Audio Cassette Edition)
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: scifi (Audio Cassette Edition)
February 24, 2017 – Finished Reading (Audio Cassette Edition)

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jon Of all the stories and novels I read during school, this one stays with me the best. And never fails to bring me to tears.

Waynestennett This was a hard reread, depressing!

Jean S Jim, I agree with you. I just couldn't bring myself to re-read it. The thought of what he loses at the end is bringing tears to my eyes now, and I read the damn thing 40 years ago.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim I agree, Jean. It is a super memorable book & just can't have the same power on the 2d read since we know what's going to happen, but it does. Perhaps it is even more powerful because of that. Instead of shock value, there's dread value added.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Waynestennett wrote: "This was a hard reread, depressing!"

I will never read it again as it was too sad. it was required when I was in college and I thought it was very good.