Javier Real's Reviews > El amor en los tiempos del cólera

El amor en los tiempos del cólera by Gabriel García Márquez

Wonderful love story in a period after the colony and independence of a Latin-American city/country. A very interesting way of telling the story. The tales and character development are intertwined, and it is fascinating to see the events of the story from both perspectives.
Perhaps I had high expectations, being this book from Gabriel Garcia Marquez, winner of the Nobel Prize of Literature, and even when I enjoyed reading it, I´m not sure if it is a master´s piece.
I like how the author manages to immerse us on a world from that period of time, and how you end up feeling as part of the story. The pages turn and turn, and you only want to keep reading to know what is next.
The book is written in a light prose, easy to follow, but fill of countless reflections, observations, maxims, ways of seeing and living life. It is a simple story, but fill of passion, love and discovery.
I find amusing that the place where the story develops is never mentioned by name, but people that knows about this book were able to discover where this story took place, based on the details of the story, concluding that the city is Cartagena, Colombia.
Never a book has made me laugh so hard as this one. And one of those moments is when Fermina and Florentino finally have their formal encounter, in her house, when she is a widow and both are old, and the body betrays Florentino.
Without a doubt a book to have in your collection and an excellent story that makes you think about love, the loves that come to us and leave, and the loves that we have in our lives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read El amor en los tiempos del cólera.

May 8, 2020 – Started Reading