Anita Dalton's Reviews > Deadfall Hotel

Deadfall Hotel by Steve Rasnic Tem

3205057

did not like it
bookshelves: fiction, horror, books-we-got-rid-of

My selection of "read" is misleading. I actually gave up halfway through. These days I only finish a book I dislike if it would be a good addition to my odd books site. This book was not odd enough.

There was something about the style Tem uses that I found strangely muffled. A widower father has taken his small daughter to a dreadful hotel so he can learn to be its new caretaker. It is a place where horrific creatures live. The current caretaker keeps assuring the father that his daughter will be safe there when it is manifestly clear she isn't. And even though the father knows this to be the case, he keeps taking the caretaker at his word. No idea why but then again, nothing was explained well.

The man's dead wife has also followed him to the hotel, a carping, nasty spirit, and so muffled is the tone that I never felt the man's grief, his despair at hearing his dead wife's disapproval from the grave, his daughter's pain at being left motherless.

This muffled style of writing is most irritating in the scene I'll call "The King of Cats Wages War." There is some incredibly violent and gory imagery, some of it involving kittens. I think my aversion to reading fictional torture of animals is well-known by this point but this was so... nothing, so bland, so removed, that it didn't bother me.

This flat, bloodless way of writing seems to be a trend. I mostly see it in literary fiction and edgy memoirs. I suspect there are some who really like this type of writing but I am not one of them and it's a curious method to tell a horror story of a widow and his little girl in a hotel where literal nightmares live.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadfall Hotel.

May 18, 2012 – Shelved
May 25, 2012 – Started Reading
Finished Reading
June 7, 2012 – Shelved as: fiction
June 7, 2012 – Shelved as: horror
May 21, 2018 – Shelved as: books-we-got-rid-of

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Tuck (new)

Tuck totally a trend. practically autistic telling