preppea's Reviews > With This Kiss

With This Kiss by Victoria Lynne

May 18, 2012

bookshelves: amazon-freebie, historical, romance, zz-reviewed

Beauty and the Beast meets Pride and Prejudice. I really enjoyed this fresh take on a well-loved story. The story begins with Julia's marriage proposition to Morgan. The author used this first conversation between the two to naturally and seamlessly remind the audience what relationships/roles men & women played at that time in history so that the reader was able to embrace each action based on a different era/set of rules.

Watching Julia and Morgan get to know each other was so fun I wanted to join in - they were both witty, opinionated characters and there were a lot of conversations that Julia walked away offended but which made me find Morgan endearing and charming. Julia marches to the beat of her own drum and Morgan embraced so many of her strange aways - my favorite involving the two of them dressing like scrubs to fit in while she interviews a poorer side of town.

Julia's family reminded me of Elizabeth Bennett's in all of the irritating/frustrating ways that make you embarrassed for her - so it was nice to see Morgan stand up to them from the first meeting until the last, even when it would have seemed ungrateful for Julia to do the same.

Of course knowing Beauty in the Beast you expect Julia and Morgan to fall in love - and I thought that the natural progression of their relationship made it all the more appealing and believable. I would probably give this book 4.25-4.5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With This Kiss.