Georgiana Derwent's Reviews > The Wives

The Wives by Tarryn Fisher

liked it

With so many domestic psychological thrillers out there, it must be increasingly hard for writers to come up with an original concept, but this one, based around a man who openly has three wives sounded intriguing.

The opening really caught my attention and had me rapidly turning the pages. My one complaint at this point was that the “heroine” felt very weak, which made her a bit hard to root for. And worse, the husband was quite unpleasant to her in a low-key way. Firstly, this didn’t make him great to read about. But more importantly, it made the central question “can he possibly be beating one of the other wives?” far less shocking than it could have been if he’d treated her perfectly. I quite enjoy stories with unlikeable characters, but there has to be something about them that captures my imagination, and I didn’t really get that here.

Nonetheless, for most of the book, it stayed fast-paced and interesting and kept me guessing —not an all time great read, but a good story to chill out with. Towards the end, it took a slightly unexpected turn — not a twist so much as a bit of a change of direction, and I started losing interest slightly at that point. Right at the end, there was the pretty much obligatory big twist, which did catch me by surprise, though I can’t quite decide if it felt like a cop-out or a neat, clever way of subverting the expectations you’re likely to hold if you’ve read a few books of this kind.

Overall, worth a read if you like this kind of thing but not a big favourite for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wives.

Finished Reading