A.'s Reviews > The Canterville Ghost

The Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde

19929606

bookshelves: ghost-stories, gothic-dark, humor, novella

The Canterville Ghost is about an American family in the late 19th century that moves into Lord Canterville's large and old home. However, the large house is haunted by Canterville's ancestor, who tries to frighten the family away, or even to death! But this family isn't to be scared away by a ghost, and is even intrigued by the historical mysteries it still carries.

I had known about this story before I read it, as I had watched a cartoon version of it when I was little, which had very minor differences. The Canterville Ghost is my first full Oscar Wilde reading (I'm still in the middle of Dorian Gray) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oscar Wilde and a ghost story is the perfect combination. Using his artful language and wit, he is able to humorously tell the tale of an utter failure of a ghost even among the mysterious and beautifully-described gothic atmosphere of the house. The only thing I would wish to be different, at least a little bit, is the ending, which was nice, but I think I would have liked it to be more than just nice. It didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story, however.

The Canterville Ghost is definitely up there with my favorite ghost stories, and Wilde's way of telling ghost stories is wonderfully refreshing. I recommend this story to those who want some wit in a gothic setting.
I listened to this book on Audible, and I very much enjoyed it as an audiobook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Canterville Ghost.

May 7, 2020 – Shelved