Melisa's Reviews > Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Sep 19, 2008

Since my background in reading is not that big, I was a little scared to see what type of book was going to be given to me. However, my teacher called Tim recommended me this book and just by looking at its cover, I knew it was the book for me!

This tender and warm story is about Opal, a 10 year old girl who was abandoned by her mother. She is trying to get over the sadness and emptiness left by her mother and to find herself in the world. She lives with her Father who is a peacher and they just moved to Naomi, Florida. Thanks to Winn-Dixie an ugly but very happy dog, she meets different people and realizes that everyone has their own story.

This honor book is full of a mixture of unforgettable characters and total description of different settings. The characters includes: a neighboor who is named ¨the witch¨ who later becomes a warm hearted person that is blind, but can see with her heart, a store worker who plays beautiful music to his animals in the pet shop.

I think that the author wrote this book so people can realize how pets can change and make our life happier.This author technique was to be very specific in the description of the setting.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Winn-Dixie.